Conviction in Pettyjohn's cave vandalism case:

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Conviction in Pettyjohn's cave vandalism case:

Postby Aaronatz » May 14, 2014 8:20 am

Greetings NSS Cavers!

I have a conviction to announce in a prominent cave vandalism case:

If you read the final paragraphs of my April 2014 NSS News article you may remember the "infuriating" vandalism case at Georgia's Pettyjohn's Cave from 2013 when a Jewish summer camp group from New York City witnessed cave vandalism involving swastikas being spray -painted in Pettyjohn's.
I just heard from Officer Tim Gilbreath, a Conservation Ranger with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The foregoing was edited/amended with permission, by the author.

"Just off the phone with the D.A. Justin Tyler Hawkins (approximately 23 years old) pled guilty to:

1. Interference with gov't property(felony)...5 year sentence,$2050.00 fine, first offender (probation) with 90 days in incarcerated boot camp;

2. Littering...12 months;

3. Criminal Trespass on Wildlife Management Area....12 months;

And:

1. He is banned from the WMA;

2. Required to earn his GED;

3. and he is required to write a letter of apology to the leader of the summer camp group, who is also a Rabbi and Auxiliary Officer with the NYPD;

4. There were other conditions attached to convictions relating to minors that therefore cannot be released."

I have requested the Rabbi's contact information so I may contact him and will convene a meeting of the Commission to vote on awarding the maximum reward the NSS offers for a conviction in a cave vandalism case ($1000) to this youth group.

Cavers of the South (and elsewhere!): would you be willing to write a letter to this youth group or be willing to otherwise demonstrate to them (via a monetary or other donation) that the terrible experience they endured at Pettyjohn's is by no means typical of southern hospitality?

If so, please contact me at aaronbikes@live.com.

Sincerely,

Aaron Atz
Chairman, NSS Cave Vandalism Deterrence Reward Commission
Birmingham, AL
Aaronatz
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 43492
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Harrison Crawford Grotto

Re: Conviction in Pettyjohn's cave vandalism case:

Postby graveleye » May 14, 2014 8:50 am

wow, that is one heck of a sentence! Harsh even, not that I mind. He probably won't serve all five of those years.

I wonder if the guy already had a record that would play into his sentencing.

If all potential cave vandals knew they could face five years in the Graybar Hotel, then I bet we would have a lot less trashed out caves.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Aaronatz » May 14, 2014 4:14 pm

he's only serving 90 days in a boot camp, the rest will likely be probated.
Aaronatz
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 43492
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Harrison Crawford Grotto

Postby DawgsgoCaving » May 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah, he will be out very fast. Sentenced time and actual time served tend to vary a lot depending on different circumstances. I'm willing to bet most of his legal sentence came from failing to appear in court for the infractions in the first place. At least he is banned from the WMA, with that in place, he's pre-booked for three square meals and daily good book studies for several months if he get's caught on Pigeon Mountain again :big grin:
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum