Murrayville Cave , Campbell Co, TN

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Murrayville Cave , Campbell Co, TN

Postby england » Apr 14, 2014 3:36 pm

I have recently revisited Murrayville cave in Campbell Co. TN and found a new fence between the usual parking place and the cave. Earlier we visited this cave without any contact with any known owners. This cave is close to the north bank of Norris Lake and is across the lake from Hill Cave in Norris Dam State Park. Does anyone know who is the owner and if we now need to contact them?
england
Infrequent Poster

Re: Murrayville Cave , Campbell Co, TN

Postby Crockett » Apr 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Try the Tennessee Property Viewer:

http://tnmap.tn.gov/assessment/

I zoomed down to the level of the state park and it appears that all the land on the north side of the lake is owned by either the state of Tennessee or TVA.

Use the "Identify" tool on the upper right by clicking on it then clicking on a parcel to get information about ownership.

Crockett
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby england » Apr 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks, Mike! I also looked at it on Google Earth and the land close to the lake is certainly owned by TVA as there are signs to that effect. There always has been a fence on the edge of Murrayville road but there is now a new fence running roughly east west perpendicular to the road north of the TVA signs . There are also some old Posted signs I had not noticed before. I asked some locals who said they did not know the owner.
england
Infrequent Poster

Postby england » Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Mike, I forgot to mention that I tried the property viewer and didn't have any luck.Google Earth gives a hypothetical address but the search does not give any results.
england
Infrequent Poster

Postby Crockett » Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

Murrayville Road right of way runs all the way to the lake.

The last property owner on the west side of the road is:
GAMBLE JAMES E JR &
JIM GAMBLE
620 WHEELER LN
LAFOLLETTE, TN 37766

The last property owner on the east side of the road is:
NELSON GREGORY L
141 ELIZABETHTON WAY
CLINTON, TN 37716
USA

Neither of these owners should be able to legally block the road. If you are on the road you are on public right of way that should not be blocked. If you are near the lake you are on public land. As far as I know, TVA has not closed caves. This appears to be a matter of over protection by the locals, trying to keep people off public land. I can understand that but it doesn't make it right.

I hope you can make the property viewer work. It is a valuable tool for cavers from Mountain City to Memphis. It has helped me get permission several times.

Crockett
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby caver9999 » Apr 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Hey Crock and all. Murrayville Cave in on the property owned by GAMBLE JAMES E JR & JIM GAMBLE. I love the TN Property Viewer!

Steve
caver9999
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 44784
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pine Mountain Grotto

Postby Scott Shaw » Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby england » Apr 25, 2014 8:44 pm

I am well aware that TVA caves are closed. This cave is on the Gamble land as noted above. I contacted Jim Gamble and found it is fine for us to go to the cave. He only wants us to stop by at Gamble Motors, LaFollette, TN and sign a release form. My thanks again to Mike Crockett to alerting me to the TN properly viewer.
BTW, I left Daejeon, Korea more than two years ago. I don't see how to edit my personal data to indicate where I now live. Any advice?
Alan
england
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum