maps of Virginia caves

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

maps of Virginia caves

Postby alisonelawrence » Mar 16, 2014 12:37 am

I'm having trouble finding books that have maps of Virginia caves, other than perhaps the very expensive, collectible, out of print books. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, in particular, I am looking for a map of Crossroads Cave.
Thanks.
alisonelawrence
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 65673

Re: maps of Virginia caves

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 16, 2014 11:39 am

What county is it in? I have the big two VA cave books and I can check for the map for you.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bill » Mar 16, 2014 12:04 pm

alisonelawrence wrote:I'm having trouble finding books that have maps of Virginia caves, other than perhaps the very expensive, collectible, out of print books. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, in particular, I am looking for a map of Crossroads Cave.
Thanks.

Cave maps and locations generally aren't provided on-request, especially online and anonymously. If you need a specific cave map, your best bet is to contact your local grotto and/or the relevant county VSS coordinator. No doubt one or both will have the information you seek.

Edited to add that you can contact the VSS at: http://www.virginiacaves.org/
Definitely not moderator-approved
Bill
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64616
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Walker Mountain Grotto

Postby alisonelawrence » Mar 16, 2014 12:21 pm

It is in Bath County.
alisonelawrence
Infrequent Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 16, 2014 4:40 pm

I can help, PM on the way. In the meantime, how about telling us a lttle bit about yourself so I can feel comfortable sending you a map.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby firemedic1015 » Mar 17, 2014 1:45 pm

I actively cave in that area, if your interested in seeing crossroads, send me a PM. I doubt anyone will send a map without knowing more about you.

-Zeb
firemedic1015
Occasional Poster

Name: Zeb Lilly
NSS #: 56382
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby alisonelawrence » Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I can help, PM on the way. In the meantime, how about telling us a lttle bit about yourself so I can feel comfortable sending you a map.

Hi GroundquestMSA. Here is a little bit about my experience and safety precautions that I take. I have been caving for 30 years, mostly in Missouri with my Dad. He knew all of the caves since he was a kid and took me to them when I was a kid. We would visit the same caves over and over and never get tired of them. Though they were all relatively small, they offered a variety of fun challenges, such as rappelling in or squeezing through tight places where my Dad's slender chest would barely fit to get to the next room. Now I live in Virginia and usually only cave once every couple of years when visiting my Dad back in Missouri. A couple of years ago we got a permit to go into some caves that we had never been in before and my kids came too (on the second day after we checked things out the first day). Last fall I decided to start caving around here, so I watched the online schedule of nearby grottoes. As a single mom my schedule is not very flexible, and none of the trips would work. I borrowed two great (old) books from my friend at work--one with info on Virginia caves and one for West Virginia. That friend no longer caves due to other things going on in his life. But since then, I've gone caving with some other friends from Texas who used to cave there. We've gone to New Trout, Cave Rat, and Hamilton caves in West Virginia. My kids came too for New Trout and Hamilton. After keeping my friend's books for several months I decided I better give them back; I found several good books on West Virginia caves, but none for Virginia (hence my original post asking for book recommendations). Of course my kids and I follow the usual safety precautions: each person wears a helmet with headlamp and carries their own two flashlights, water, snacks, and extra batteries. We also find our knee and elbow pads indispensable. When caving around here, we always let my Dad know what cave we are going in and the time at which he should call for help if we haven't checked in. He has the numbers to call. When caving in Missouri, my Dad and I always let my Grandma know where we will be. I like to read a lot about a cave before going, especially if my kids are coming. They are 7 and 11 years old and are great cavers. Being small is such an advantage!
alisonelawrence
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum