Wolf River (Jaguar) Cave Tennessee Question

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Wolf River (Jaguar) Cave Tennessee Question

Postby RobertSzabo » Mar 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Can anyone point me to an online report about the additional passage that was discovered a while ago towards the end of Tremendous Trunk? Ive found the report by Lou Simpson where he said the Enchanted Forest dig was only about 6 feet from breaking through to passage that opened up. Cant find any info after that. I heard from a friend that more passage was found. Im not sure where the additional passage was found and if it was indeed the Enchanted Forest dig.

I was on the mapping trip through Masochist Crawl and we had high hopes of getting beyond the terminal breakdown at the end of Tremendous trunk but the bolt climb leads that were made didn't pan out on that trip.

Just curious. Would like to know what was found and where. Ive been in the cave many times but haven't been back there for about 25 years.

In the middle of writing this I did a little more Google searching. In 1993 Lou put the cave at just over 7.5 miles. Its listed at 8.1 now. So I guess whatever was found wasn't significant as far as length goes. Still would like to hear if anyone has any info. I haven't talked to Lou Simpson in many years and don't to where to find him.

Bob Szabo
Kansas City, MO
RobertSzabo
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 15386

Re: Wolf River (Jaguar) Cave Tennessee Question

Postby CaverCSE » Mar 17, 2014 6:50 pm

I was actually the main one who found the way onward to some of the new stuff though I never got back to actually see it. It's actually on the other side of the cave up through breakdown on the right side of the stream passage.. It was a complicated route up through the breakdown but it led to a big canyon room with an 80ft rope climb up into around 3000ft of large borehole with nice formations I think... There was also another large rotunda room found through another breakdown pile on the right hand side of the stream passage in the same area.
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Re: Wolf River (Jaguar) Cave Tennessee Question

Postby RobertSzabo » Mar 18, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks very much for the reply. I know where you are talking about. Sounds like a continuation of Tremendous Trunk the other side of the surface sink. Thanks again!
RobertSzabo
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 15386

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum