UV Light Scares Animals

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

UV Light Scares Animals

Postby tncaver » Mar 14, 2014 9:34 am

I read the following article in the Science and Environment section of BBC news today. Animals 'scared' by bursts of light from power cables
The article mentions that animals are scared away from power lines due to bursts of UV light emitted from the cables. This light is invisible to humans but
research shows that most animals see the light and stay as much as 3 miles away from power transmission lines and cables. Therefore, would it be feasible to
put UV light emitters on windmills designed to generate electricity? Windmills are known for harming both birds and bats. I can't help but wonder if any energy
company is aware of the UV light research? Seems like it would be a great way to end the unintended killing of bats and birds by the whirling blades of the massive
wind generating stations.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: UV Light Scares Animals

Postby caver.adam » Mar 14, 2014 3:00 pm

An interesting question. But I'm curious whether this study of "most animals" included birds or bats. Especially since I've seen birds roosting on power lines quite frequently.

If it did keep bats away it shouldn't be terribly hard to create a load balanced UV LED set up on the blades.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum