Waders?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Waders?

Postby stx2006 » Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Ok, so we went into a really wet cave over the weekend and I must say I did not like walking back in cold wet cloths... I was looking into getting some waders... I found some at Academy and I have a few questions..

What is a good Material?

The one I found is made from 90% neoprene, 10% nylon
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Re: Waders?

Postby Rivershredder » Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I would stay away from waders, I know of a few people who have almost drowned in them fly fishing. If you have the money get a wet suit (usually you can get them cheap from rafting companies end of season) and as much wool and poly as you can from goodwill. If you wanna go all out I personally love my cavesuit that goes over everything but do what you want/can afford
Rivershredder
Infrequent Poster

Name: Marc DiBiase
NSS #: 65395
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby stx2006 » Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Rivershredder wrote:I would stay away from waders, I know of a few people who have almost drowned in them fly fishing. If you have the money get a wet suit (usually you can get them cheap from rafting companies end of season) and as much wool and poly as you can from goodwill. If you wanna go all out I personally love my cavesuit that goes over everything but do what you want/can afford

I was thinking waders since I've never had to swim a cave. Its only been up to my waist.
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 17, 2014 11:27 pm

just wear a wetsuit. Leave the waders for the fisherman. Just because its only been up to your waist, doesnt mean it never will get deeper. Would be a totally preventable way to buy the farm.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Feb 18, 2014 6:42 am

What you need is what we call a "ponto" or "pontonniere" here in Europe. It is completely in latex.

http://www.expe.fr/fr/pontonniere.html

Neopreen is much heavier and eventually when you are out of the water you will get cold in it. A ponto keeps you dry. A ponto however is fragile and needs some care: drying, powdering and dry storage.

Dagobert (Sc Avalon - Belgium)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum