Stephen's Gap

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby stx2006 » Apr 21, 2014 6:59 am

danegarreau wrote:does permission nees to be granted to explore this cave?

i'm planning a trip to north alabama this summer to visit waterfalls and if it has rained recently i would love to see stephens gap cave.


There is no trespassing signs up. I always call the NSS manager for that cave to make sure its still fine to go back there.
stx2006
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sep 25, 2013 8:30 pm
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby CaverScott » Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

danegarreau wrote:does permission nees to be granted to explore this cave?

i'm planning a trip to north alabama this summer to visit waterfalls and if it has rained recently i would love to see stephens gap cave.


Yes.

see this

http://dogwoodcitygrotto.com/files/closedcavelist.pdf
User avatar
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 7:38 am
Location: Birmingham, Alabama (TAG!)
NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby danegarreau » Apr 23, 2014 6:47 am

Thanks so much!!!
danegarreau
Infrequent Poster
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 31, 2014 2:29 pm
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby KENTO » Jun 17, 2014 6:37 pm

I kind of feel I wasted more time than I ought to have with this thread sniping to a fellow caver just because he failed to anticipate harsh criticism from NSS members caused by his hasty incomplete description of his Groups permitted visit to Stephens Gap. Am I the only person to notice he has an NSS Membership #
clearly listed below his name?
KENTO
Prolific Poster
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sep 9, 2005 10:48 pm
Location: Orange County, Indiana
NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby stx2006 » Jun 18, 2014 8:10 am

KENTO wrote:I kind of feel I wasted more time than I ought to have with this thread sniping to a fellow caver just because he failed to anticipate harsh criticism from NSS members caused by his hasty incomplete description of his Groups permitted visit to Stephens Gap. Am I the only person to notice he has an NSS Membership #
clearly listed below his name?


Don't worry about it. I've learned there are some members on here that are all if your not a member you can't go caving.. I've met some really cool members of the nss and ACS group. So truthly I just hang with them and we shares stories together. I've learned not to post about trips on here because the first thing everyone ask is did you get permission to go? Its like duh how many times does someone have to start a new thread with 'I went to blah blah this weekend. Oh yea I got permission also.' Before people stop asking? Then you get harmmered with are you part of a grotto? And no I am not. I can not make the meetings because of work.

But oh well. I wonder how many are on here that is like me and hangs out in the shawdos just reading post because they are to scared to post anything in fear of someone bashing them over little things.
stx2006
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sep 25, 2013 8:30 pm
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 18, 2014 11:04 am

stx2006 wrote:I've learned not to post about trips on here because the first thing everyone ask is did you get permission to go? Its like duh how many times does someone have to start a new thread with 'I went to blah blah this weekend. Oh yea I got permission also.' Before people stop asking? Then you get hammered with are you part of a grotto? And no I am not... I wonder how many are on here that is like me and hangs out in the shadows just reading posts because they are to scared to post anything in fear of someone bashing them over little things.


Hey man, you have no responsibility to please nitpickers. Please, post your trip reports. You can choose to fight to the death over trivial issues (which can be fun for a while), to ignore the critics, to pick through the criticisms and see if you can learn from some of them, or to hide. Hiding is the worst option. I want to hear about what you're doing, and if I could I would help you with more information about caves in your area.
User avatar
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: May 5, 2011 1:32 pm
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby MUD » Jun 18, 2014 2:26 pm

:big grin: I've been caving since I was 8 years old and have been a NSS member for over 26 years. Almost all of my close caving friends are ex-NSS because of the elitist, know-it-all, you're doing it wrong types. You don't need the NSS or a grotto to cave! I get tired of people constantly telling others to join those groups when it isn't necessary. There are way more non NSS cavers than NSS cavers by far. Ask yourself why or just look at what happens when you do ask someone a question! :big grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mar 15, 2006 11:28 pm
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby tncaver » Jun 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Cavemud wrote::big grin: I've been caving since I was 8 years old and have been a NSS member for over 26 years. Almost all of my close caving friends are ex-NSS because of the elitist, know-it-all, you're doing it wrong types. You don't need the NSS or a grotto to cave! I get tired of people constantly telling others to join those groups when it isn't necessary. There are way more non NSS cavers than NSS cavers by far. Ask yourself why or just look at what happens when you do ask someone a question! :big grin:


I think the NSS is a good place for beginners to learn the right things about caving. Grottoes can be helpful although some are arrogant from the beginning. Take a chance and if one grotto isn't helpful, try another. They are good places to learn about caves, caving technique. I am not currently a grotto member for the same reasons Cavemud mentioned and I was a member for a long long time. Some grottoes are awesome while others are the know it all arrogant types, do it our way or the highway. We have them right here in TN unfortunately. But grottoes are a great place to learn about caving. Some grottoes are great. Try them and you might like them. If not, try another one.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: May 17, 2007 7:03 pm
  

Re: Stephen's Gap

Postby MUD » Jul 7, 2014 6:51 pm

I agree that the NSS and grottos are a great place to learn about caving. They are also a great place to get turned off of caving lol. I remain a NSS member as I do believe in what they're doing for the most part. I'm currently chairman of the NSS affiliated Cave Hill Grotto but I never hammer "NSS" or "Grotto" into any newbie cavers. I simply invite them along on trips and happenings and they can make their own mind up. I do let them know of the NSS and grottos and how they work. :grin:

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mar 15, 2006 11:28 pm
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None
  

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron