Marion Smith writings

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Marion Smith writings

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am

Does anyone have an extra or know where to find a copy of Marion Smith's "The History of Ellison's Cave"?

I've just been doing a lot of hiking and exploring the TAG region. Yesterday I hiked and did some horizontal caving from the Blue Hole, to the Gross/ Dug/ and Historic Entrance of Ellisons, and then to Atwood Point yesterday. I find the history of these places fascinating - how even caves, relics of another time period, exhibit a sort of "nothing lasts, but nothing is lost" phenomenon as we interact with them. This could be why I would like to locate a copy of his book.

Anyways, I've been reading a lot of journals and talking to seasoned professionals, but I would like to have an actual history of something pertaining to the area, or even the TAG region in general. I'll be at a grotto meeting in about three weeks, maybe I can check the library then. I've also yet to join the NSS yet, do they hold on to most of these historical works?

Thanks.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: Marion Smith writings

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 21, 2014 12:59 pm

The NSS library will certainly have History of Ellison's, and most other English cave literature ever published. Also check out Marion's Letters From TAG. It is a collection of letters sent to Smith (he was in the army at the time) from early TAG cavers (Schreiber, McGuffin, Wilcox, Fergeson, Cosineau, Newell, Resager, Wilbanks, the Footes, and others) and provides many interesting and exciting accounts of the discovery and exploration of major caves, including Ellison's. Also check out the report to the GDNR prepared by DCG in 1974. It is called Pigeon Mountain and Ellison's Cave System.
Last edited by GroundquestMSA on Feb 25, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 21, 2014 4:50 pm

If you are a member of the Dogwood City Grotto they too have a library that resides in one of the members homes (Joe Abbot). They do have a copy of this along with many other interesting reads. As a member, you can check out items from the library as well.

You will have a hard time finding one for sale and when they do they usually go for at least $100 or more.

Or better yet, get to know Marion... He is fun to cave with and is full of stories :)
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby innerrealmbooks » Jan 21, 2014 6:28 pm

A copy of this hard to find 1977 book "The Exploration & Survey of Ellison's Cave, Georgia," by Marion O. Smith is for auction in the Cavechat Speleo-Marketplace forum!
innerrealmbooks
Occasional Poster

Name: Rich Wolfert
NSS #: 14722

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jan 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll be checking out Dogwood for the first time in a few weeks. I went to my school's rare manuscript library today and read some old cave bulletins in the archives. One of them discussed the mapping of the Alabama/ Georgia cave and Marion joining the party before they went underground haha. There was a lot of old publications about Bartow County caves too. If anyone is ever in the UGA area and wants to check the collection out PM me and I'll let you know how to set up a free account to use the facility! It is well worth the trip.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum