Can Someone Tell Me The Name Of A Couple Alabama Caves?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Can Someone Tell Me The Name Of A Couple Alabama Caves?

Postby PoplarHill » Jan 15, 2014 8:27 pm

We were out riding around a couple of weeks ago and decided to ride around the Stephens Gap area. I know posting directions with road names is frowned upon, so the easiest way for me to tell you is, if you're sitting at the Stephens Gap parking area and head back out, on the second road to the left is an old Cemetery. Just up from the cemetery looks to be a cave entrance on the right just off the road with a spring/creek either going into or coming out of it. A little further on up the road is a large walk in entrance cave in plain sight maybe 15 feet from the side of the road and has a no trespassing sign. I was just wondering if anyone knew the names of these 2 caves. Are they on a closed list or just private property? If private property, do the owners let anyone explore them with permission? I know of a few caves around Morgan Co. that have posted signs but the land owners will give permission to go in them, the signs are more for liabiltiy purposes and to keep riff raff out. Kind of wondering if this may be the same type of deal.

Thanks!
PoplarHill
Infrequent Poster

Re: Can Someone Tell Me The Name Of A Couple Alabama Caves?

Postby Oddball » Jan 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Know the area very well, but not sure where you are talking about. I can name 30 caves a karstic features You can observe from the road east or west of Stephens Gap. Pm me and we we can try to figure out the locations you are talking about.
Oddball
Frequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum