Information on Arthur Singleton Cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Information on Arthur Singleton Cave

Postby murphy678 » Dec 9, 2013 12:31 am

I am new to Ky and want to check out some of the amazing caves around here. I found a map of Arthur singleton cave online along with a few others. this cave has caught my attention and now i cant seem to to find information on it besides a ton of pictures, and thats it is in Rockcastle county Ky. does anyone have a link they can direct me to to find the location and how to get to this cave or any other information?
murphy678
Infrequent Poster

Re: Information on Arthur Singleton Cave

Postby jholcomb8 » Dec 9, 2013 10:25 am

You won't find any cave locations posted or shared on here. I'd encourage you to get involved with the Bluegrass Grotto (in Lexington) to learn more about cave in the area and go on trips with members. Or, folks from the Cincinnati Grotto also come down to Rockcastle Co. quite frequently to do trips. Good luck!
[URL=https://matchnow.info]Supreme Сasual Dating[/URL]
jholcomb8
Infrequent Poster

Name: migydayXD

Postby murphy678 » Dec 9, 2013 7:59 pm

just curious but how come cave locations are so hard to find?
and if i went to the general area of the cave and asked around with the locals, would they likely tell me?
murphy678
Infrequent Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am

murphy678 wrote:just curious but how come cave locations are so hard to find?

Cavers are secretive for several reasons. They don't want you to get hurt, or to hurt the cave, so often prefer to direct a stranger to an organized caving group so that they can learn proper techniques and so on. Often too, they are simply possessive. The feeling is largely unspoken, but many cavers seem to think that as few people as possible should be caving. Most importantly, from my perspective, we are often concerned about landowner relations. Cavers often work very hard to establish good relationaships with cave owners. Unrestrained circulation of cave locations will lead to lots of idiots in caves, and trash and vandalism and injuries. Landowners will get fed up with this nonsense and close their caves to everyone.

murphy678 wrote:if i went to the general area of the cave and asked around with the locals, would they likely tell me?

Go find out. Whether or not you seek help from a grotto, finding caves takes personal effort. Unless you're content to wander the same beaten to death caves that everyone else can see from their car window, you'll be consulting with plenty of landowners or cavers.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Dec 11, 2013 4:35 am

I wouldn't say that cavers don't think as few people should be caving, we are always looking for the next member, caver, surveyor, ridgewalker. Our existence is based the continual addition of more people to our sport, especially now, when there seems to be a lot of oldtimers around...

However I can say that we keep locations close to our chests untill we know the person we are talking to...

Did you know for example, the owner of Arthurs Singletons is a big Turkey hunter? He allows trips only out of season.... Did you know that the parking area for AS has had breakins and there are better places to park? Did you know that there is a Singletons cave which is on the same road as Arthur Singletons, but NOT the same cave? Did you know that a fall (and subsequent large rescue) in a cave by an inexperienced caver was a major reason for the permanent closure of that cave (CCIC!), aond continual trespassing was the reason another owner put up a huge chainlink fence around his cave (across the road cave) ? Did you know that AS is on the hibernation closure list.....no wait, it isnt.... I found THAT out on our grotto closure list...

these are the reasons, we typically invite people to contact or cave with local grottos - to make sure they stay safe, and learn the rules of the landowners, so they don't piss them off, and close the cave, and so we protect the citizens of the cave (the BATS!!).
Greater Cinti Grotto has good relationships with several landowners in Rockcastle, and we love to take new people to our areas - there is a lot to see in Rockcastle county. Come by a GCG meeting, or if you are farther south, Lexington, or even Pine Mt. you can find all the info about these groups at the NSS site

Howard
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Dec 11, 2013 10:21 am

Murphy, contact your local grotto or conservancy. We are all quite friendly (off the internet) and would be happy to work with you. I've you've got cave experience you'll find it pretty easy to get access. If you don't, you'll find it easy to get experience through other trip leaders.

Let us know what part of the state you're in and we will give you a link to the closest group to you. They'll take good care of you.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

As said, safety of the visitor and the cave. Too many of us have seen this: http://wasg.iinet.net.au/images/Mar1927.jpg
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum