St. Louis and Illinois caves.... Help needed. Extream Novice

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 5, 2006 6:27 pm

Cool for you, Noobie! Keep at it. Maybe some of the folks from your area can hook up with you on a weekend sometime even if you can't make a meeting.

Cavers aren't trying to make life difficult for you, but they are protective of the caves.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Biggimo1 » May 8, 2006 5:35 pm

Hey noob,

Offer still stands. Biggimo1@yahoo.com

I want to work with you. I know you will cave with us or without us. Email me and we will work something out. If you have Sundays free, we can go to a Missouri cave and you can meet me and some other cavers.

Congrats on the cleanup effort :kewl: . Take some pics if you can.

Brian B.
Biggimo1
Occasional Poster

Postby Noobiecavin » May 8, 2006 7:20 pm

Yea I would but my manual for the camera didnt say dont slam it into rocks while in your pocket... :doh: So its getting repaired for the time being. That sounds like fun, Ill email you once I get to talk to a buddy of mine.
Noobiecavin
Occasional Poster

Postby graveleye » May 9, 2006 11:36 am

Look at you go Noob! You really should take biggimo up on his offer because that sort of stuff doesnt come easy. Heck, when I joined my first grotto, I couldnt get a soul to talk to me... it still isnt easy getting folks to go caving with - and heck I am 40 and not a risk to anyone or anycave. Cavers tend to be pretty inclusive, and you are being invited into the pack. I had to just barge in. :roll:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Teresa » May 10, 2006 12:58 am

Noobiecavin wrote:I'm 21 and The thing is that I have a good group of people that really are into the "exploring" of things. But in order to find these caves you have got to the Meetings and I HONESTLY dont have much time out side of work. I know theres caves that are miles long and have snow banks and waterfalls and stuff that I've never seen before and its driving me nuts.

And trying to convince my friends to get meet abunch of cavers at a meeting is not that easy of a thing to do. They are like well instead of going to this meeting Lets go to this island or this landmark or this conservation area. BUT MOST OF ALL THEY WANT TO FIND CAVES....

And we're telling you how to find caves by finding the cavers who know. And you're telling us you don't want to be 'bothered' with meeting those people who could and would be willing to help you out. Heck. Open cave trips *are* announced at meetings, and even more cave trips are discussed at 'the meeting after the meeting' where cavers retire for pizza and beer after an hour and a half (part of which is often a slide show, video or powerpoint of caves, or some tech how-to info on something you need to know--like knots.) We're telling you the benefits of helmets, and you're telling us no, don't need any helmets. Organized cavers don't expect followers, but they do expect people to learn from others' mistakes (like not wearing helmets) and they do expect a somewhat open mind, especially if we're being asked for info to fill it.

You don't have to become a meeting-aholic. Probably only 1/3 of MVG attends any given meeting. But unless you're willing to come out of the woodwork, cavers are not so desperate to chase down potential recruits. After all, we have something you want--we'll share, but, well, you have to come get it. Both major St. Louis grottos require one meeting and participation in one grotto cave trip to join. That's hardly onerous, considering the recruit is *wanting* to participate in the activity anyway.

The idea that one is too busy with work and social obligations (at 21) to make time to introduce one's self to like minded others--it's not like the rest of us have copious free time, either. But if there is a will, there is a way. Think about it, Noob.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum