Cave Mapping?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Mapping?

Postby stx2006 » Nov 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Does anyone know who I can get in contact with that can help me make a cave map?
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Re: Cave Mapping?

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 24, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from local cavers. I encourage you read the Cavechat survey & cartography section, and to buy the book On Station by George Dasher. That book and this forum are the only resources I've ever had to help me make cave maps but considering your location, won't have to do it on your own.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby stx2006 » Nov 24, 2013 10:51 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from local cavers. I encourage you read the Cavechat survey & cartography section, and to buy the book On Station by George Dasher. That book and this forum are the only resources I've ever had to help me make cave maps but considering your location, won't have to do it on your own.

OK. Yea I don't want to do it by myself. More than happy to help out though.
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Postby trogman » Nov 25, 2013 7:28 am

Dude, you live in Huntsville- no better person to talk to than Bill Torode. Bill has his name on probably 1/3 or more of the maps currently in the ACS listing. Of course he does his the old-fashioned way, on a drafting table with standard drafting tools from days gone by. If you are a member of the H'ville grotto, I'm sure you've met him. If not, he is usually at the HQ on weekdays, and I'm certain he'd be happy to help you.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am

The Georgia Speleological Survey has an ongoing project in Byers Cave in Dade County, GA to teach cavers how to survey. You would need to contact Marty Abercrombie for more information on upcoming trips.

Also, contact your local grotto in Huntsville as they also occasionally have cave survey projects.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum