Norman Cave hydrology

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Norman Cave hydrology

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 20, 2013 8:05 pm

I've just read the description of Norman in the 2012 Convention Guidebook. It took a second to decipher this brief note on the Norman stream: "The water encountered in Norman resurges from Richards Cave... found in the bottom of the sinkhole near the Norman entrance. It then flows into Mann Cave." At first glance this appears to mean that the water flows from Norman to Richards to Mann, which is an obviously impossible endless loop since Mann flows into Norman.

This is another example of minor confusion caused by the word "resurgence". I think I've whined about this before. Resurgence is used to mean any water that flows out of the ground, when the word actually means "to surge back again" or "to rise again". Of course, all groundwater "rises again" but for some reason when I hear the word resurgence I always imagine that it means a reappearance of water that has observably sank into the ground elsewhere. Are there any terms besides "resurgent" to describe the nature and direction of flow at the cave entrance? What adjectives could be used to describe a stream flowing into an entrance or one flowing out of an entrance, either as a spring or a reappearing stream?

My real question is simpler. Where does the stream in Norman reappear? On the river?

Thanks
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Norman Cave hydrology

Postby nathanroser » Nov 21, 2013 12:48 am

If you look at the map that came with the Convention 2012 guide it shows a resurgence right on the edge of the Greenbrier River and an overflow resurgence near the quarry with the Bone entrance.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 21, 2013 1:31 am

Good lord, I've looked at that silly map 7,000 times and never noticed the "intermittent resurgence" at the Bone entrance. Where is the other one shown?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rjack » Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:This is another example of minor confusion caused by the word "resurgence". I think I've whined about this before. Resurgence is used to mean any water that flows out of the ground, when the word actually means "to surge back again" or "to rise again".

Its "surging back" out of the ground. You are thinking like a caver not like a surface dweller. :sadbanana:

GroundquestMSA wrote:What adjectives could be used to describe a stream flowing into an entrance or one flowing out of an entrance, either as a spring or a reappearing stream?

Divers call these springs and siphons, although the word siphon is technically inaccurate since the water is typically just flowing downhill and not being forced through a tube uphill due to atmospheric pressure. "Sink" would be better, its just not in common usage in this application.
rjack
Occasional Poster

Postby nathanroser » Nov 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Way down on the bottom left corner of the map it shows the Bone Norman resurgence along the Greenbrier River. Did you ever convert the PDFs from the Convention and stitch the big ones for Norman and Benedicts together in Photoshop?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 28, 2013 9:44 am

I guess we're looking at two different things. I only have the physical guidebook, with the maps A - K. Neither the master map or the lower sections show the Greenbrier river, or any resurgence other than the intermittent one just below the quarry.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum