Cave gate protocol

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave gate protocol

Postby graveleye » Nov 19, 2013 2:07 pm

probably depends on the cave too. There are plenty of caves that you would probably run into the unauthorized party on the way out.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby NZcaver » Nov 20, 2013 1:27 am

Good cave management protocol ought to include the use of quality locks, regularly maintained and replaced when necessary. I recall having to pop open a stuck lock on a Forest Service cave gate using a haul system, even though we had the key. We didn't lock ourselves in that one.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby ohiocaver » Nov 21, 2013 7:27 am

So not back-locking is a good way to eliminate flashlight cavers from the gene pool? :bananabat:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby ohiocaver » Nov 24, 2013 7:06 am

In an email exchange with Bonnie Armstrong, editor of the NSS's Cave Accidents report, she says of non-cavers getting locked into caves, "I don't recall any such incidents being reported and certainly no fatalities. There are probably plenty of "gate" stories out there, heck, my own husband has one. Maybe this will prompt cavers to send in reports of old incidents?"
If you have such stories, please send the facts to Bonnie for possible inclusion in future reports: bonnyarmstrong at gmail.com
So maybe we are protecting against a highly unlikely occurrence at the expense of endangering, or at least regularly inconveniencing,legit cavers in caves?
Perhaps if a cave is right by a road or is in a high-traffic area, back-locking is reasonable. In the back country, you'd probably be as well served to leave a note in a Baggie on the cave gate that says there are cavers inside who intend to lock the gate when they leave so if you trespass and come inside, you'll likely be caged and locked in for a long, long time.
>
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum