Information of Pits North of Scottsboro

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Information of Pits North of Scottsboro

Postby Oddball » Nov 17, 2013 1:08 pm

If you do not mind I will give a little background.
During high school I continued to push one of my favorite caves. In 2005 I completed what I call "The Crawl" with one other friend. 2 had to stay back because of their size. The total 1047 feet of The Crawl (took measuring tape) is only 16 to 12 inches high during it's entirety. The last 47 feet is 12 inches high with 7 inches of water. I made the push through the water to find an excellent dome named Spiral Dome. Spiral Dome also had sticks and leaves on the floor even though no water was falling from above. Since "The Crawl" took 4 hours and still had 2 friends waiting we headed back.
Fast forward to 2006. With backpacks tied to our feet, 3 (of my smaller freinds) completed The Crawl and late on a Friday night with supplies to stay in the Spiral Dome until early Sunday Morning. I knew the dome had an entrance, so that night I bolted 53 feet, before descending, leaving my rope to continue. My friends had a nice dinner for me. Canned dumplings heated by an extra carbide lamp I have. I woke up and ascended and bolted 34 more feet until i saw light and came upon a small bore hole (3 foot) that extended 22 feet horizontally to the surface. This was my hope, so I made a 2 deep permanent (3in with epoxies) bolt at the top, to which I secured my rope to and slowly descended while using my other rope to retrieve the 54 bolts and gear I had left while bolting. I told my friends bad news. They had no vertical experience or gear. So I told them to make The Crawl back and I was going to ascend to the surface and back figure out where the opening was. So they headed on their way and I ascended and exited the cave. I headed downhill and soon found a bluff so I could get my bearings. I realised where i was and made my way back to the entrance to meet my two friends. I had finally found a way past The Crawl.
Since the discovery of a shortcut past The Crawl exploration has opened up. Have found 2 huge domes, and 3 smaller but with the sticks and leaves at the bottom. I have charted with vectors these small domes. I just do not have the time or energy or strength to bolt each of these three domes to see an opening and have yet to be able to get onto foot and search the surface.
I know there are pits on what is what some people call "Scottsboro Mountain". I know asking for locations is taboo, but any information would help as I'm 6.5 hour away from the area because of work and can't do the leg work. PM is fine. Would love information.
Oddball
Frequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum