Tumbling Rock Cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tumbling Rock Cave

Postby stx2006 » Oct 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Anyone been to Tumbling Rock Cave before? We have permission from the SCCI to go in the cave. Wondering what we are in for? I seen some really good pictures of the inside. Should we bring climbing gear or is most of it walking? Was kinda hard to tell by the map. And anyone know if there is a updated map of the cave? I have one but it's really old and hard to make out things on it. :cavingrocks:
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Re: Tumbling Rock Cave

Postby trogman » Oct 17, 2013 6:22 am

Tumbling Rock is known far and wide as a "beginner's cave." You will have no need for climbing gear, and for the most part you will be walking or crawling. That being said, with about 6 miles of passage, TR has a little bit of something for everyone. There is a newer, better map that was printed in the 1998 NSS convention guidebook. (which is getting very hard to obtain) I am not sure why this map is not available on the ACS website, as it is a vast improvement over the old one. That being said, even with the old map, the cave is not too difficult to find your way around in, at least not to the major landmarks.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2013 7:56 am

I think there are a couple of misleading marks on the map but it's a good one.
Weather permitting I am going to be up there on Saturday!! Taking my son and his wife on their first real cave trip :banana:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby stx2006 » Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

graveleye wrote:I think there are a couple of misleading marks on the map but it's a good one.
Weather permitting I am going to be up there on Saturday!! Taking my son and his wife on their first real cave trip :banana:

Do you know about the gate? I was told its locked but the guy at scci never said anything about a locked gate.
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm

yea I am not sure the combo anymore though.
If you are going on Saturday there is almost certainly going to be someone there though. I sent a note to Nathan who lives in the house next to the entrance but I haven't heard back from him. I haven't known a Saturday that either Nathan or Jay weren't there though.
Are you an SCCi member?
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby stx2006 » Oct 17, 2013 12:53 pm

graveleye wrote:yea I am not sure the combo anymore though.
If you are going on Saturday there is almost certainly going to be someone there though. I sent a note to Nathan who lives in the house next to the entrance but I haven't heard back from him. I haven't known a Saturday that either Nathan or Jay weren't there though.
Are you an SCCi member?

No I'm not a member. I've been talking to jay. But he hasn't emailed me back yet about the lock.
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm going to call one or the other of them tonight when I get home from work just to be sure.
In the past though I have pretty much just shown up and Nathan or Jay would be there... we're sustaining SCCi members so we can just walk in without paying.
I think they are up to like $10/person now.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby stx2006 » Oct 17, 2013 1:03 pm

graveleye wrote:I'm going to call one or the other of them tonight when I get home from work just to be sure.
In the past though I have pretty much just shown up and Nathan or Jay would be there... we're sustaining SCCi members so we can just walk in without paying.

OK thanks. It doesn't bother us to pay. I just didn't want to drive a hour and a half and couldn't get in. We plan to go Sunday since I work Saturday.
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm

hehe tell me about it. I'm coming from Atlanta so it's more like three hours for us.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby trogman » Oct 17, 2013 2:20 pm

graveleye wrote:I'm going to call one or the other of them tonight when I get home from work just to be sure.

You are correct, it is $10 for non-members. But that is actually a "suggested donation." (I hear if you do not donate, they will lock you in the cave!) :laughing: :kidding: Seriously, though, it is a great organization and well worth it to donate to them. Like graveleye, I am a sustaining member and can just walk in. If you can afford it, I recommend it.

I think the "suggested donation" angle is just to protect them from liability. If they charge an entrance fee, they can be held liable if someone gets hurt.

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 17, 2013 5:41 pm

another bonus of the SCCi is access to a whole bunch of other cool caves too!
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby stx2006 » Oct 17, 2013 6:40 pm

trogman wrote:

You are correct, it is $10 for non-members. But that is actually a "suggested donation." (I hear if you do not donate, they will lock you in the cave!) :laughing: :kidding: Seriously, though, it is a great organization and well worth it to donate to them. Like graveleye, I am a sustaining member and can just walk in. If you can afford it, I recommend it.

I think the "suggested donation" angle is just to protect them from liability. If they charge an entrance fee, they can be held liable if someone gets hurt.

LOL.. Well Jay did tell me to lock ourselfs in once we go in.. LOL :tonguecheek:

I'll be joining the SCCi in a few weeks! I like what they do and want to support them!
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Postby trogman » Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am

stx2006 wrote:
I'll be joining the SCCi in a few weeks! I like what they do and want to support them!

Awesome!!! :clap: :banana_yay: :bananabat: :banana:

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby stx2006 » Oct 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Can someone send me the road name the cave is on please? I lost the email from Jay that was telling me everything.

Thanks.. :cavechat:
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Postby Shane S » Oct 22, 2013 9:16 am

County Rd 111 I think
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742