Iron Hoop

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Iron Hoop

Postby KWW » Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Does anyone know if Iron Hoop is still accessible next weekend or is it closed for hunting season already?
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Iron Hoop

Postby Shane S » Oct 22, 2013 9:24 am

Iron Hoop doesn’t close for hunting season. In fact that is probably the best time to access the cave because the gate opens up and you can drive right up to it. Just be respectful of hunters as cavers try to have the best relationships possible. If you are going to Iron Hoop or J. Elliot try to take a direct path there and back. Most hunters know that cavers hike this trail and will not set up directly on this path. FYI Jess Elliot cave is one that is a short hike from Iron Hoop. There is a connection but on my last attempt we didn't make the connection. I think it has to be pretty dry for this connection to not sump.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Postby KWW » Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks Shane, that's what I found out after messaging a friend about it. It was the second trip I have been on to Iron Hoop and man I still can't wait to go back. That is truly one fantastic cave! Completely worth the 800 foot crawl to the borehole. Nothing else like it that I have seen in TAG.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Shane S » Oct 24, 2013 2:22 pm

It's one of my favorite Hor caves. I plan on going back soon now that the gate is open. I may even go this Saturday if I can muster up some people.
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum