HELP? Found a cave with old brick entrance

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

HELP? Found a cave with old brick entrance

Postby Dulley » Oct 5, 2013 3:24 pm

I need some help! I bought some property in Kentucky a few weeks ago and down by a creek that runs through it I found a cave. When I saw this cave it really freaked me out. It had some kind of a brick wall entrance with a small 5 foot by 4 foot square so that you can get into the cave. There was some brick on the sides and it had some kind of vents dug out on the bottom of each side. I didn't go inside but I could see that there were two benches made from rock on each side in the front of the cave and it also went back pretty far. My question is what could this be? I can tell this is really old but I just have never seen anything like this and it really creeped me out because that was the last thing I would expect to be in the middle of the woods on a hill side next to a creek. Please give me your opinion on what in the world this could be? THANKS Tommy
Dulley
New Poster

Re: HELP? Found a cave with old brick entrance

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 5, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi Tommy, What part of Kentucky are you in?
I've seen several caves, including some in KY, with brick or other structures covering the entrances. This usually means that the cave was used as a root cellar, or sometimes a spring house if there is a stream. The cool water and air of the cave act as a natural refrigerator. I would be glad to investigate the cave for you, depending on the location of your property. Feel free to contact me via PM.

J.K.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Oct 14, 2013 10:56 am

I saw a property on sale earlier this year with ~100 acres that had a cave with a manmade entrance like this down near Horse cave exit (if I remember correctly). Without looking at your entrance and the cave itself it is hard to say. There are a lot of possible reasons. One reason is for cold storage before refrigerators or power were available. If there is any sign of a waterwheel it could have been used for power. Also, during the cold war it was common to use caves as bomb shelters, and you might be able to find equipment from that era. And....the list goes on.

The KSS might have records of your cave. Also, your local grotto may have access to more information. There is the Louisville Grotto, Green River Grotto, and Greater Cinicinatti grotto, depending on where you are in Kentucky. I know some old timers in the Louisville grotto and will be happy to ask them if they have any thoughts.

There should not be anything in this cave to freak you out. These structures are common. If you see signs someone is currently living in it you can contact your local authorities for advice.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby stx2006 » Oct 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Dulley wrote:I need some help! I bought some property in Kentucky a few weeks ago and down by a creek that runs through it I found a cave. When I saw this cave it really freaked me out. It had some kind of a brick wall entrance with a small 5 foot by 4 foot square so that you can get into the cave. There was some brick on the sides and it had some kind of vents dug out on the bottom of each side. I didn't go inside but I could see that there were two benches made from rock on each side in the front of the cave and it also went back pretty far. My question is what could this be? I can tell this is really old but I just have never seen anything like this and it really creeped me out because that was the last thing I would expect to be in the middle of the woods on a hill side next to a creek. Please give me your opinion on what in the world this could be? THANKS Tommy

Could you show us some pictures?
stx2006
Frequent Poster

Name: Matthew
NSS #: 65704

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum