spring cave, CO and other inquires

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

spring cave, CO and other inquires

Postby gindling » Sep 18, 2013 11:28 am

I was reading the old Alpine Karst publication from 1977 and the article on Spring Cave, CO by Norm Pace. I was curious as to whether the 2nd sump was ever entered and was there anything beyond? We hope to put out another Alpine Karst edition next year and it would be great if we could include something about this cave and its subsequent exploration. We would really like to see updates of the articles from the first four editions of Alpine Karst from 1975-1978. Likewise, has anyone ever gone upstream in the river trunk of Rendezvous Peak Cave, WY or into the "churning mass of water" below the falls in Watergate, WY on the west side of the Tetons? Thanks for any help and we are always looking for stories of recent alpine caving in the states and abroad. You can contact me or go to alpinekarst.org
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Re: spring cave, CO and other inquires

Postby Extremeophile » Sep 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Four sumps have been penetrated in Spring Cave and they were stopped by a 5th. Contact Alan Williams (in the members manual) for details and maps. There's a good history of the diving effort in the '96 convention guide. It's out of print so I'll PM you a copy of the Spring Cave section.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Tlaloc » Sep 18, 2013 8:47 pm

gindling wrote:...Likewise, has anyone ever gone upstream in the river trunk of Rendezvous Peak Cave, WY or into the "churning mass of water" below the falls in Watergate, WY on the west side of the Tetons?...

Yes. I think that at least one of the trips into Watergate is described in some old edition of Caving in the Rockies.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rchrds » Mar 5, 2014 3:36 am

There have been a number of sumps pushed both up and downstream in Spring Cave. I visited the third sump downstream, and it was interesting- quite a bit sporty- only went to the second sump upstream as I was alone after the first sump- but there has been quite a bit more done in there. I was there in the late 90s? Something like that.

Jason Richards
NSS41539
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum