Caves near Claiborne County TN

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves near Claiborne County TN

Postby abeeler_18 » Sep 7, 2013 10:43 pm

I am new to caving and looking for some caves near the Claiborne County TN area if theres any known or how I can locate them. Thanks for your time
abeeler_18
New Poster

Re: Caves near Claiborne County TN

Postby GroundquestMSA » Sep 8, 2013 8:13 am

There seem to be quite a few caves in Claiborne County, but I know nothing about locations or access. About an hour or so north of you are a lot of caves, in Pulaski and Rockcastle counties. Tell us a bit more about yourself and perhaps some local cavers will feel more comfortable giving you some help. If you're interested in driving to the KY caves I mentioned, send me a pm and I can probably give you locations to one or two. I don't know if you have any interest in cave surveying, but if you do, Cave Research Foundation has a long term project in Gap Cave, in the Nat. Hist. Park on the north side of Claiborne County and into KY, VA.

You can use this site to see the longest US caves by state. Use ctrl+f to search the page for counties you're interested in.

Have fun,
-J
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Caves near Claiborne County TN

Postby Crockett » Sep 9, 2013 5:37 pm

You can e-mail me at cumberlandgap@gmail.com and I'll try to hook you up with some active cavers in the Claiborne County, Tennessee area.

There are hundreds of known caves and plenty of potential to find more.

The East Tennessee Grotto (ETG) of the National Speleological Society offers loaner gear, training and trips nearby. They have several projects going including the need for volunteers to support The Haunted Cave at Cherokee Caverns this Fall north of Knoxville. Find them from the Find A Caving Club link at caves.org (the host site for Cavechat).

The Pine Mountain Grotto (PMG) is also active in that area but mostly in Campbell County for now.

Go with a Grotto, cave responsibly and be safe.

Mike Crockett
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum