Cave Database

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Database

Postby Dustin » Apr 25, 2006 3:41 pm

I’m looking for some sort of database that keeps track of the caves I’ve visited and any information on them. So far I’ve only come across SpeleoBase. Does anyone know of any databases they recommend, or have heard of? Thanks.
Dustin
Occasional Poster

Postby batrotter » Apr 26, 2006 6:09 am

SpeleoBase sounds like a customized spreadsheet. You can do the same thing with Excel and make it the way you want.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 26, 2006 7:42 am

If you visit their website and examine the example screenshots it is clear this is not just a customized spreadsheet, but a real relational database.

Someone put a lot of work into it. It may just be an Access db, but it is hard to tell and I don't see any explanation on the page.

I downloaded it and see it is written using Computer Associates Visual Objects. It appears extremely well done and very capable. I can't see how you can go wrong using it. The help file also explains quite well how to get your data into it if you already have something.

This application took someone several hundred hours to write and it is amazing it is being offered for free.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby batrotter » Apr 26, 2006 2:28 pm

I did take a quick look at their website before posting but didn't look very hard. It looked like a similar thing we are doing here in Indiana. If it is a relational database, then yes indeed someone spent considerable time developing it.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby icave » Apr 27, 2006 1:56 pm

I've spent some time with SpeleoBase, but have decided to create my own database in access. It's taking a while, but in the end I'll have a little more versatility. I like to be able to search in pretty unusual ways and have multiple trip report links, and other such relational niceties.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum