Caves around the Charlotte NC area

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves around the Charlotte NC area

Postby S0laGratia » Aug 1, 2013 12:19 pm

So, I have been caving for the past year and absolutely love it. I seriously hope to do this for the rest of my life. With that being said, In about a year I am most likely moving to Charlotte NC to attend a graduate school. I have heard there are not that many caves in the area. Which is really depressing. I'm just trying to confirm that bit of information. I live in Tennessee right now. I'm sure there aren't as many in NC as TN. But am I still going to be able to do a little bit of caving over there? If not i"m going to die! :sad:

-Luke
S0laGratia
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Smokey Mountain Grotto

Re: Caves around the Charlotte NC area

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 1, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Luke,

Unfortunately, you are correct. There are no caves in the Charlotte area. There are some caves in NC, but they are closed because of WNS fears. However, there are cavers. Flittermouse Grotto, in Asheville, and Tri-Trogs, in the Raleigh area, are both very active and have members in Charlotte. Check out their pages on Facebook and if you go to the TAG Fall Cave-In, look us up. Be glad to help.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby S0laGratia » Aug 5, 2013 9:34 pm

Dang, I was afraid of that. I might have to rethink where I go to school haha. Thanks for the fast response.

-Luke
S0laGratia
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Smokey Mountain Grotto

Postby hank moon » Aug 6, 2013 10:46 am

Ha! I spent a good part of my childhood in Charlotte, keeping a sharp eye out for caves (after reading "Five boys in a cave" in the third grade). Never found more than a rock shelter or stump hole...but that all changed when I moved to Chattanooga :banana:

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby starsea » Feb 18, 2014 9:57 am

starsea
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm

I believe that most cavers in North Carolina do most of their caving outside of North Carolina such as in Tennessee and Virginia which is similar to what cavers in my area around DC and Maryland do by going to the Appalachian Mountains in WV/VA and Pennsylvania. It just means that it is a longer drive, not necessarily that you can't go caving if you live in Charlotte, NC.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby msm0711 » Mar 5, 2014 9:05 pm

There's an old core mine at a state park about 30 miles outside of Charlotte, and there are a number of small caves near Greenville, SC, if you do end up there. The caves are worth a day trip; the mine, not so much......
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum