Caves on Jasper Mountain, Marion County, TN

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves on Jasper Mountain, Marion County, TN

Postby CaveRew » May 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Hello All,

I am new to the forums here and am excited to glean from all the information here.

On this forum I would like to discuss any known caves on Jasper Mountain. I have done some basic exploring though haven't turned anything up yet, or been able to find anything on-line (Maybe I don't know the right places to look).

If I have missed this topic in another place on this forum please let me know and I'll divert this to that place. Thank you and happy caving.

CaveRew

P.S. These coordinates in Google maps will put you right on top of the Mountain (35.076651,-85.681343).
CaveRew
Infrequent Poster

Re: Caves on Jasper Mountain, Marion County, TN

Postby NZcaver » May 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Please be aware it's against forum rules to post cave locations or specific directions here. You're not breaking the rules by posting coordinates to the top of a hill, but don't be offended if you feel like you're not getting straight answers. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby rebelfirefighter » May 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Check out Sewannee Mountain Grotto

http://www.caves.org/grotto/sewaneemountaingrotto/
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 20, 2013 7:45 am

CaveRew wrote:Hello All,

I am new to the forums here and am excited to glean from all the information here.

On this forum I would like to discuss any known caves on Jasper Mountain. I have done some basic exploring though haven't turned anything up yet, or been able to find anything on-line (Maybe I don't know the right places to look).

If I have missed this topic in another place on this forum please let me know and I'll divert this to that place. Thank you and happy caving.

CaveRew

P.S. These coordinates in Google maps will put you right on top of the Mountain (35.076651,-85.681343).

If you are interested in caves in this area you should come to a Sewanee Mountain Grotto meeting. We are located in Marion County and are familiar with the area you mention. Our meetings are on the second Saturday of each month. We rotate the meeting locations between members homes and different outdoor places in the summer. The majority of our meetings are held around Old Sewanee Road which is off of Stagecoach Road on top of the mountain. Our meetings start at 6pm central with a potluck dinner, followed by the business at 7pm.

Our next meeting will be June 8th at Cavers Paradise, 482 Wild Heart Lane, Sewanee, TN - http://www.caversparadise.com. Maureen has a campground so you are also welcome to camp. Our July meeting is the grotto annual summer campout. This year the campout and meeting will be July 13/14 and will be in Payne Cove, just on the other side of Monteagle. Camping will be primitive and we will also have led trips into caves on the property.

If you are on facebook, you can look up the Sewanee Mountain Grotto under groups to keep up with meetings and our annual fundraising caving event, Sewanee Mountain Cave Fest.

Kelly
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby CaveRew » May 20, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for the heads up NZcaver! I'll keep that in mind, and thank you Kelly for getting the info on the Sewanee Mountain Grotto. I will defiantly check it out.
CaveRew
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum