Artificial cave system for training or intro to caving?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Artificial cave system for training or intro to caving?

Postby trogman » Apr 25, 2013 9:25 am

Myrna Attaway wrote:Albequrques museum of natural history and little known Anniston meseum of natural history in Ala.

Yes, the Anniston Museum of Natural History has a small but very well-done artificial cave, not to mention a very nice museum overall. For the town the size of Anniston it is an outstanding museum, and we are proud to have it in our area.

That being said, I really have a problem with the whole concept of trying to convince people to go caving. Caving is one of those things that, if a person has the inclination to do it, then yes, we should encourage them to pursue it, and educate and guide them on how to do it properly and safely. But if they aren't interested, and it just isn't their thing, then I for one will not try to persuade them otherwise. (I admit I have done it in the past) We have all met people that, when you tell them about your passion for caving, they look at you like you are nuts. "Aren't you afraid of ...(fill in the blank)." Or they say "I could never do that!" That's fine-we don't want everyone to go caving; just think how much impact and damage would be done to the caves we enjoy.

Does this concept make sense to anyone else?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 25, 2013 3:16 pm

trogman wrote:That being said, I really have a problem with the whole concept of trying to convince people to go caving. Caving is one of those things that, if a person has the inclination to do it, then yes, we should encourage them to pursue it, and educate and guide them on how to do it properly and safely. But if they aren't interested, and it just isn't their thing, then I for one will not try to persuade them otherwise. (I admit I have done it in the past) We have all met people that, when you tell them about your passion for caving, they look at you like you are nuts. "Aren't you afraid of ...(fill in the blank)." Or they say "I could never do that!" That's fine-we don't want everyone to go caving; just think how much impact and damage would be done to the caves we enjoy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little persuasion, we like to share the things we enjoy. I have pushed people to go caving several times. For mainly selfish reasons. I get sick of going by myself or with the same two people every single time, and I'm really irritated by irrational terror and ignorant judgements (including my own). I've never successfully converted anyone though. Of course we don't want everyone to go caving, but that's hardly a danger is it?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:
trogman wrote:That being said, I really have a problem with the whole concept of trying to convince people to go caving. Caving is one of those things that, if a person has the inclination to do it, then yes, we should encourage them to pursue it, and educate and guide them on how to do it properly and safely. But if they aren't interested, and it just isn't their thing, then I for one will not try to persuade them otherwise. (I admit I have done it in the past) We have all met people that, when you tell them about your passion for caving, they look at you like you are nuts. "Aren't you afraid of ...(fill in the blank)." Or they say "I could never do that!" That's fine-we don't want everyone to go caving; just think how much impact and damage would be done to the caves we enjoy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little persuasion, we like to share the things we enjoy. I have pushed people to go caving several times. For mainly selfish reasons. I get sick of going by myself or with the same two people every single time, and I'm really irritated by irrational terror and ignorant judgements (including my own). I've never successfully converted anyone though. Of course we don't want everyone to go caving, but that's hardly a danger is it?

I agree, and I have done the same thing, as you said, for mostly selfish reasons. But I have more or less come to the realization that some folks for whatever reason are simply not wired to enjoy caving like we do. A little persuasion is OK, but if someone doesn't feel the draw of the underground at all, then maybe they don't really need to going caving. Just thinking out loud here...

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Hangfast » May 2, 2013 9:48 am

Hi,

I am from Hangfast in the UK. You are right in saying artificial caving is very popular in the UK and we are proud to say we are the leading manufacturer of such systems.

We have developed artificial caving systems to be a safe and controlled replication of real caving, and yes, they would be a brilliant way to gently introduce your friend to caving. With our systems we design the initial passage way to be an 'experience' rather than a 'challenge' so that they are enjoyable for all. This passage tends to consist of large diameter tunnels, large chambers and canyons. The whole system is filled with discrete emergency exits so you never get into a situation where you cant easily escape, however you would not notice them if you didn't know they where there. We have found that through artificial caving you can develop your movement and self calming techniques so when you do take the next step to real caving you are more prepared, understand your limitations and the best way to get out of a tight situation is to keep calm.

Although our systems are designed to be safe that doesn't mean a hardened troglodyte will find the experience easy or boring. From our main passage way come our harder loops! We are lucky enough to be based just outside the Yorkshire limestone ring of caves and we spend hours every week researching (*cough, playing) and trying to replicate the features we find down there. With ball pool sumps, boulder fields, bedding plane climbs, tight squeezes and calcite formations you do get a real feeling of being underground.

Our longest currently built cave takes approximately 60 minuets to complete the trough trip and is the longest operational system in the world. In the next 6 months we should be opening a new system with a through trip of 3 hours, SRT sections and much more. If you go to our site you will be able to see some photos and a short video.

www.hangfastclimbing.co.uk

Unfortunately, you are right, you have nothing similar to our systems over there. We do however have a container cave system that could easily be shipped across or if you know anyone that would suit one let us know!

Hope this helped!

Hangfast UK
Hangfast
New Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum