Trying to contact Colorado cavers

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to contact Colorado cavers

Postby Dustin » Apr 16, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm going to be in Colorado on vacation from the 22nd until the 29th of July. Currently the 24th on is free. I was curious if there were any Colorado Grottos that wouldn't mind doing a little caving with me? I'll be in the Fort Collins area, though will amble around to Grand Lake for a day or so (on the 24th), but after that we don't know what we're going to do. We may end up in Denver, Colorado Springs; we're still not entirely sure. I believe it'll be just me caving as my wife will probably go shopping with my mother.
Dustin
Occasional Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 16, 2006 7:11 pm

Dustin,

If you don't get an reply here, try the Colorado Caves Forum:

http://coloradocaves.org/phpBB2/
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Dustin,

Don't get your hopes up with the local grottos out there. My husband and I are members of the NSS and the SCCI. We are TAG cavers. Last year we visited Colorado and I contacted a few of the local grottos and they didn't really seem to care and were not much help.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby roger_haley » May 18, 2006 1:15 pm

I had dinner last weekend with a very good ex TAG caver who now lives in Boulder and felt the unfriendliness of the Colorado caving scene. He gave up on it.
Roger Haley
Huntsville, Alabama
roger_haley
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 29236FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville

Postby wendy » May 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Wow that's sad that Colorado cavers are getting a bad rep, I met several Colorado folks while at convetion and they were great people and have invited me out to cave with them.

I have also heard similar things about a certain grotto in Florida, which is why I am no longer a member of that grotto, I didn't want to be associated with a group of folks with a less than friendly rep.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby itabot » May 18, 2006 3:11 pm

I live in Colorado and can't even get in with my local grotto.

That's why Colorado has a web site with cave locations! :kewl:

Or, take Wayne's advise and go to http://www.coloradocaves.org/phpBB2 There you can find people who will take you caving or point you in the right direction.
itabot
Frequent Poster

Postby Vader » May 18, 2006 9:49 pm

itabot wrote:

That's what I say. :kewl:

Certain Colorado cavers are great people, just very protective of their caves.
Vader
Frequent Poster

Postby Dustin » May 19, 2006 7:49 am

Vader wrote:
itabot wrote:

That's what I say. :kewl:

Certain Colorado cavers are great people, just very protective of their caves.

To each their own. I don't want the cave locations, just to do some caving with others of like minded interest.

I thank everyone who has either posted here or pm'ed me. I haven't attempted to contact any of you just yet, as we are still trying to nail down the details of our trip. My wife has never been to the mountains before, so we continue to adjust our trip so she can see their full beauty. Again, my thanks. Hopefully I can contact people within a few weeks with a more definite schedule.
Dustin
Occasional Poster

Postby answerguru » May 22, 2006 4:26 pm

Wow, I'm amazed that folks have had trouble with grottos in Colorado.

When I moved here a few years ago, I jumped right in with the Southern Colorado Mountain Grotto (SoCoMoGro) -- very friendly and willing to help out new cavers to the area. I can't speak for the other grottos north of here (here being Colorado Springs), but I can say great things about everyone in this area.

- Jonny
Jonny
SoCoMoGro
Woodland Park, CO
answerguru
Infrequent Poster

Postby Dan Sullivan » May 23, 2006 1:08 pm

Dustin,
I thought I'd sent you a PM a while back, but I can't find it......Anyhoooo.....E-mail me if your plans bring you to Colorado Springs.

caverdan..at..adelphia....dot...net.

I will hook you up or take you to see some beautiful places in Williams Canyon. We have this NSS project going on there. Check it out at http://WWW.coloradocaves.org.

Not much caving up by Fort Collins. If you plan to visit caves in the mountains, plan on cold, wet, alpine syle.
Dan Sullivan

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum