Navigating the NSS website...?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Navigating the NSS website...?

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to navigate the NSS website..? I am trying to find all the research papers for the caves and karst of my area in Hernando, Citrus counties, and beyond, but i am having trouble locating them. is there a secret trick to it..? :-p also I am trying to find out the best elevations to search for undiscovered caves. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Name: Evan Chandler Robinson
NSS #: 63985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tampa Bay Area Grotto

Re: Navigating the NSS website...?

Postby Alex Sproul » Jan 22, 2013 12:01 am

Hi, Evan --

If you're looking for research papers, you need to be looking in the Journal of Cave and Karst Studies (JCKS), formerly the NSS Bulletin. Although it's in the works, we don't yet have copies of either in the Publications section of caves.org. Further, our search engine is not presently working properly.

However, the good news is that all of those publications have been archived by the Karst Information Portal (KIP)http://www.karstportal.org/, and all are completely searchable.

As for the best elevations to search for caves, there's really no right answer -- they're everywhere. Perhaps the best way is to pore over topo maps, looking for intermittant streams. That indicates they go underground, possible via a humanly traversible opening. But while these can occur at any elevation, the watercourse generally winds up at the valley floor as a resurgence. Another feature to look for, either on maps or in the field, are sinkholes, which are evidence of collapsed cave passage. Maybe there's an open entrance to the passage there, or somewhere, or maybe you'll have to dig your own.

Since organized caving has been popular in the US for nearly 75 years (since adequate light was available), it's fair to say that all the obvious cave openings have likely been found, and new cave will require more scientific methods of discovery, and a lot of elbow grease.

Happy Hunting!

Alex
Alex Sproul
NSS 8086RL/OS
Alex Sproul
Frequent Poster

Name: Alex Sproul
NSS #: 8086RL/OS

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am

Thank you very much. I was getting discouraged while looking for the research papers yesterday. I'm off to Dahlonega, GA next. So maybe i will have some luck there.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Study geology maps. Not elevation detail.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Study both kinds of maps. Geological maps are good for showing you where not to waste your time, and for identifying broad areas of interest. Knowing that the NW corner of Hernando County is ocala limestone, for instance, may be helpful. Using a topo to compare the elevations of and topography surrounding known caves will help you find specific areas within the region of interest that are similar and may have more caves. In my county, for example, about half of the cave entrances sit at an elevation of 800', in hilltop sinks.

Sometimes caves are obvious on the topo. I have located two VA caves that are not listed in the state survey just by looking at Google maps.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am

Thank you both.

GroundquestMSA, That makes perfect sense. where would i find a geological map from.?
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » Jan 25, 2013 4:17 pm

evanrobinson1985 wrote:Thank you both.

GroundquestMSA, That makes perfect sense. where would i find a geological map from.?

Most if not all states have geological department (many call them Surveys) , and have geologic maps for sale (some states like Kentucky) have them online for free. They are also usually based on a 7.5 min quadrangle map with the topo lines in the background. These state surveys also are a good source for research papers on Karst and groundwater hydrology, and can give you an idea which formations contain most of the caves.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 28, 2013 8:30 pm

GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum