New to the Washington Area

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

New to the Washington Area

Postby WolvesOfTheNight » Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I have been caving for years in New Mexico, but have now moved to Washington State. It looks like the nearest listed grotto is in the Seattle area. However, I am in North-central Washington. Is there anything going on near Wenatchee or the surrounding area? Any caving organizations, or cavers that would be interested in forming an organization, or outside grottos that do trips around here?
WolvesOfTheNight
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 54667

Re: New to the Washington Area

Postby Leitmotiv » Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm

The clubs you want to contact are:

Cascade Grotto for Western Washington caving.
Willamette Valley Grotto for caving in south central Washington
Oregon Grotto, same as the Willamette Valley Grotto

That's really all there is.

Both the WVG and OG are more active in Washington than they are in Oregon, despite their names and being based out of Portland, Oregon.
Leitmotiv
Prolific Poster

Name: Matt Skeels
NSS #: 53428
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Oregon High Desert Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for answering that question, Matt. You beat me to it! <grin> And, you're definitely right on the money. There just isn't too many things going on where Wolves of the Night could try and go caving, but..--and, I use that term loosely--there are some cavers in the Leavenworth area, so you might want to look in your Members Manual and scroll though the Washington cavers. And, farther east, there were some cavers in the Spokane area, so...look 'em over and see what you might come up with. Granite Falls had a few small caves--ice caves for sure.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WolvesOfTheNight » Dec 16, 2012 2:40 am

OK, thanks for the notes! Come January I should have the time to start getting in touch and hopefully do some caving. But it sounds like I will have a bit of a drive just to meet up with people... (I will check my members manual, though it is all packed up at the moment)
WolvesOfTheNight
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 54667

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 17, 2012 8:58 am

Just getting acquainted with other cavers is the name of the game. Then, they know you; and vice versa, so when a trip comes up, you'll see it in their newsletter...or get a landline or something from cyberspace, as to a trip coming up. Then, you wouldn't have to travel to all of their meetings is what I'm thinking. Good luck!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum