Caves in Williamstown, MA

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves in Williamstown, MA

Postby massholecaver » Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm

There is an area with several small limestone caves in Williamstown, MA within Trustees of Reservation lands which are very clearly marked on their trail map. Upon discovering them, I realized there are about 3-4 small streams which disappear into these caves, some of which has openings big enough to squeeze through. I am wondering if anyone has explored these (not-so-secret) caves in any depth or heard if they are passable beneath the surface? I know the geology of the area suggests they may open up into something bigger, though I don't want to make the drive with some other cavers if they are going to end 4 feet from their entrance. Anybody have any wisdom on this? Thanks!
massholecaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Will Bedford-Sutro

Re: Caves in Williamstown, MA

Postby Chuck Porter » Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm

These are known as the McMasters caves, and are low, muddy disconnected parts of a former system. John Dunham described them in the March 2008 Northeastern Caver. See http://www.caves.org/region/nro/necaver.html for info on obtaining a back issue. There's also a bit of info at 'Where in Willismstown #66' which you might find online.

Chuck
Chuck Porter
Occasional Poster

Postby massholecaver » Nov 20, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks Chuck! I'll check out the issue you mentioned.

Will
massholecaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Will Bedford-Sutro

Postby JSDunham » Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

There are about 350ft of passages which are sometimes connected, sometimes not depending on the previous winter (mud moves around when the caves flood every year). They are worth visiting, but expect to be very wet and muddy when you come out.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum