GPS coordinates for Stairstep Entrance, Ellisons

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: GPS coordinates for Stairstep Entrance, Ellisons

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 23, 2012 12:29 pm

How does it keep people out? No one was at the cave we went to to check for a permit. No one asked for it before we went out. Had we not talked to tag locals we wouldn't have known about the permit and we would have went up to the cave anyway. I see it as another government money grab but whatever. I was glad to pay it.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gregmathis1 » Oct 23, 2012 12:41 pm

If you are going this wkend or next please email me at bgmathis1@yahoo.com. It will be worth your while big time.
gregmathis1
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Mathis D.V.M.
NSS #: 56602

How does it keep people out? No one was at the cave we went

Postby gregmathis1 » Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I go to pigeon regularly and have seen at lot less traffic at pottyjohn's and have been checked for permit twice. I think the hunters got pissed that they had to pay while other user groups used the mountain free. They aren't likely to check you except at your auto or camp. $35 for an 8 person yearly permit is cheap for what you get and if it keeps the yocals out it is worth it.
gregmathis1
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Mathis D.V.M.
NSS #: 56602

Postby BrianFrank » Oct 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Chads93GT wrote:How does it keep people out? No one was at the cave we went to to check for a permit. No one asked for it before we went out. Had we not talked to tag locals we wouldn't have known about the permit and we would have went up to the cave anyway. I see it as another government money grab but whatever. I was glad to pay it.

Chad: I agree this is just another government grab. Where will it end!

But, to your question "How does it keep people out?" Word has gotten around and locals know that tickets are being written for anyone without the pass when cars are left in that area for a while. So, it cuts down on those types that would never pony up for a pass, but don't want a ticket.....probably the type that trashes caves.

Last time I was at Pettyjohns a DNR officer was writing tickets. This was just before we were walking from the parking lot to the cave path. I had forgotten my pass and approached him to see if he would give me a break and not write me a ticket. He was super nice and looked up my information on his laptop and printed out a copy of the pass for me on a portable printer in his seat to put on my dash. Took him 2 minutes. I could not believe it, it was a nice experience.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Oct 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Ahh well thats a good point. If it is actually making an impact then that is good.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum