An inadvertant advertisement in outdoor magazine

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

An inadvertant advertisement in outdoor magazine

Postby Herman Miller » Apr 11, 2006 5:26 pm

Just wanted to point out the advertisement for surefire flashlights on pg 78 of Outdoor Magazine. the advertisement looks to be on target displaying a gentleman with a hemet with two mounted lights and one handheld "surefire" light in his hand peering down a partially waterfilled passage the quote was pretty good but if I wrote it here someone might scream copyright.... if only a link for caves.org was at the bottom :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 11, 2006 5:47 pm

I saw that too. I thought it was a well done ad. Really gets the point across.

BTW, Surefire lights are product of caver engineering. Caver/big room photographer Willie Hunt is an engineer there.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 11, 2006 8:21 pm

the quote was pretty good but if I wrote it here someone might scream copyright.

Not if you credit the source and don't claim it as your own.

....and the quote is... :question:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Herman Miller » Apr 11, 2006 8:29 pm

and the quote from the surefire advertisement states " if a work of art 100 million years in the making takes your breath away, you should see what happens when your lights go out." a second quote reads " its a feat just to get to a place like this. which means you want a light that lets you see whats really there. it also means, if your light quits, your dead. because this far underground, you cant move safely, you cant find your way out, and nobody will hear your screams."

there you have it :)
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Cool! :goodjob:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby wendy » Apr 12, 2006 1:33 am

When I first saw that ad I was a little dissappointed, I was flipping thru the magazine, and saw the photo of the cave and thought it was a cool article on caves :doh:
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby ScottM » Apr 12, 2006 2:51 am

That Ad has also been shown in Popular Science magazine for the last few months.
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 12, 2006 3:30 am

wendy wrote:When I first saw that ad I was a little dissappointed, I was flipping thru the magazine, and saw the photo of the cave and thought it was a cool article on caves :doh:

Why were you "initially disappointed"? I'm just curious - I've heard other cavers say they've been disappointed/upset by products being advertised in conjunction with caves/caving. I can't say that kind of thing has ever bothered me, but perhaps other cavers have a different take on this..? :?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cindy Heazlit » Apr 12, 2006 10:30 am

Cheryl Jones wrote:
the quote was pretty good but if I wrote it here someone might scream copyright.

This statement on copyright isn't true. People seem to think that they can use text, credit the source, and be OK. Nope - it is still copyright violation. You are, however, allowed to quote the text for the purpose of commentary, which is what is happening on this thread. So bremen66 is OK on that context.
Cindy Heazlit
Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 12, 2006 10:45 am

Cindy Heazlit wrote:This statement on copyright isn't true. People seem to think that they can use text, credit the source, and be OK. Nope - it is still copyright violation. You are, however, allowed to quote the text for the purpose of commentary, which is what is happening on this thread. So bremen66 is OK on that context.

True. And, I bet Surefire doesn't mind one bit if we talk about their ads or products. Ask any marketing person what make a great ad, they'll say people talking about it.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby wendy » Apr 12, 2006 12:03 pm

NZcaver wrote:
wendy wrote:When I first saw that ad I was a little dissappointed, I was flipping thru the magazine, and saw the photo of the cave and thought it was a cool article on caves :doh:

Why were you "initially disappointed"? I'm just curious - I've heard other cavers say they've been disappointed/upset by products being advertised in conjunction with caves/caving. I can't say that kind of thing has ever bothered me, but perhaps other cavers have a different take on this..? :?

not disappointed that it was an ad with a cave in it, but sad that it wasn't the front page of an article on caving.

The only cave related commercial I didn't like, was the car one where they rig the rope to the SUV and jump into some big hole and do a balls to the wall decent, with no rope pad or doing things the safe way. that I thnk gives a bad message, but that would have been a bad message on safety even if the car ad didn't have a cave in it
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Mike Cato » Apr 12, 2006 12:34 pm

wendy wrote:and jump into some big hole and do a balls to the wall decent,

Uh huh huh huh. You said "balls to the wall".

:shock:

Well, they did have that metal set of rollers thingee instead of a rope pad...
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby NZcaver » Apr 13, 2006 2:17 am

Cindy Heazlit wrote:
Cheryl Jones wrote:

This statement on copyright isn't true. People seem to think that they can use text, credit the source, and be OK. Nope - it is still copyright violation. You are, however, allowed to quote the text for the purpose of commentary, which is what is happening on this thread. So bremen66 is OK on that context.

Sorry to swerve off topic, :big grin: but according to the US Copyright Office the only criminal infringements of copyright occur when somebody infringes "willfully for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain", or "by the reproduction or distribution...of copyright works which have a total retail value of more than $1,000."

Plus any "Fraudulent Copyright Notice", "Fraudulent Removal of Copyright Notice", or "False Representation" (in regard to a copyright registration application) - is also an offense. (Yes, I got curious and decided to read-up on this.) See http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#506

So there certainly shouldn't be any issues with this little thread anyway... :wink:
Last edited by NZcaver on Apr 13, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am

wendy wrote:not disappointed that it was an ad with a cave in it, but sad that it wasn't the front page of an article on caving.

Oh, I see what you mean. But advertising photos probably pay better for the photographer... :cool:

The only cave related commercial I didn't like, was the car one where they rig the rope to the SUV and jump into some big hole and do a balls to the wall decent, with no rope pad or doing things the safe way. that I thnk gives a bad message, but that would have been a bad message on safety even if the car ad didn't have a cave in it

I recall thinking that the "balls to the wall" cave rappel sequence wasn't exactly "realistic", but at least they were wearing helmets (I think!) :wink:

[Edit] I was wrong - they weren't wearing helmets. Bad cavers! :doh:
Last edited by NZcaver on Apr 14, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Teresa » Apr 13, 2006 9:11 am

NZcaver wrote:
Cindy Heazlit wrote:
Cheryl Jones wrote:

Sorry to swerve off topic, :big grin: but according to the US Copyright Office the only criminal infringements of copyright occur when somebody infringes "willfully for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain", or "by the reproduction or distribution...of copyright works which have a total retail value of more than $1,000."

Directly quoting material without attribution is plaigarism, or stealing. As Cindy indicates, quoting short attributed passages for 'commentary' and for informative purposes is ok. NZ is partially incorrect in his quote above: see section a) of the website he cites. *Any* copying of another's work without their permission is copyright infringement. The 'criminal infringement' clause is what makes it actionable in court; it is in there to prevent nuisance lawsuits for mere pennies and to ensure the 'fair use' clause of copyright is maintained. Even though one cannot sue for criminal infringement of less than $1,000 or for non-commercial use without perimission, one can file *civil actions* (for example: cease and desist) over any infringement, or else the law has no teeth.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum