An inadvertant advertisement in outdoor magazine

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JonSidneyB » Apr 20, 2006 6:53 pm

That is disappointing about the ad. I am a fan of Surefire and have quite a large collection of them.

I have met and had dinner with the vice president of Surefire a few times.

Surefire is a quality product.
JonSidneyB
Frequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Apr 21, 2006 7:26 am

NZcaver wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Here's the Nissan Xterra commercial in question: (4.6mb, Quicktime)

If the makers of that commercial used any technical advisers at all, they must have been rock climbers who knew NOTHING about caving. It wouldn't have killed them to have a caving adviser on the shoot. They might have got some advice like "hey guys, why don't you lose that useless climbing pro, clip on a proper descender, and put on this helmet/headlamp?" :crazy:

I guess this is one reason why those stunt guys make the big bucks. :surprised:

So I will revise my earlier comment on this thread - yes, at least one caving-related advertisement DOES bother me a little... :evil:

Actually, if I recall, on the older version of this board, someone posted about how Nissan had contacted them and asked them to help with the commercial and they refused because they didn't like the general "presentation" given in the commercial.

Most people agreed at the time. Though I believe someone suggested that a caver help, in order to get it right.

So if anyone, the only ones we have to blame may be ourselves. :-)
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 21, 2006 7:44 am

I very much agree with you. It's like cavers being contacted for a story on caving and refusing to talk and then complaining that the article got the facts wrong. Given the decline in caver numbers it's even more important now to get our story out there -- and make sure it is presented in the best possible light, regarding conservation and safety.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby fr73ed » Apr 29, 2006 3:53 pm

(snip) ---- Given the decline in caver numbers it's even more important now to get our story out there ---------

hmmmmm...
I wuz just wanderin thru the whole ( hole?) site an seen this comment.

Is this statement fer real ? ( Well, I guess the statement itself is real, seein's how I see it, but whut I'm tryin ta ask here is , is cavin dyin out or just alla us older, sorta respectable kinda hardcores ( ex-hardcores?), (( ex-wannabe hardcores )) world-class caves types ,add yer own exple.... aahhhhh... descriptives...the only ones left?)

Or is it that the new-gen cavers ain't got nuthin ta look forward to, seein's how alla us old-er types did our jobs so well, they ain't no caves left ta find ?

This reminds me of the suggestion that back in around 1900 or so the patent office should be abolished since everthin had already been invented.

But I digress.... are cavers in decline ????

fr73ed
fr73ed
Frequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 29, 2006 4:12 pm

fr73ed wrote:(snip) ---- Given the decline in caver numbers it's even more important now to get our story out there ---------

.... are cavers in decline ????

Apparently, yes. There's a whole (hole?) other thread about it... :wink:

http://www.caves.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1383
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum