Indian oven cave question...

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Indian oven cave question...

Postby beege33 » Jul 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to locate the Indian Oven Cave in Millerton, NY. I know the cave property was purchased in recent years and has been deemed private property, no tresspassing. I do know that it is near or on Round Hill Mountain, a state-owned property in Millerton. Just spent the afternoon scouring the trail system on this mountain, and came up empty handed. Just curious if anyone has anything to share about locating this cave. I've also been googling around other message boards and blogs and although ive located a cave map, I havent found information regarding where the two cave entrances are.... THanks...
beege33
New Poster

Re: Indian oven cave question...

Postby JSDunham » Jul 30, 2012 9:33 am

Two quick points:

1st, if you note the TOS, cave locations and directions are not allowed on this forum. This is to protect caves from vandalism and careless visitation.

2nd, I am given to understand that the current owners of Indian Oven Cave do not want it being accessed. The cave is considered closed to visitation per their request.

The Central Connecticut Grotto is a good resource for cave access status information and caving in general in that area. I'd suggest you contact them and consider attending their grotto meetings.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Postby Chuck Porter » Aug 1, 2012 9:40 pm

Be careful. There have been recent glawackus sightings there. See
http://clctrust.org/2012/04/return-of-the-glawackus/

Chuck
Chuck Porter
Occasional Poster

Postby Tootall » Oct 25, 2012 10:24 pm

There isn't much to say because I'm sure this "Dead Horse" has already been beaten. Here in Colorado the USFS and its plan to save
all the Bats has just about brought the sport of caving to a halt for 2 years. I understand the serious nature of WNS and am all for implementing procedures for combating this problem in the appropriate regions.
Anyway no sense in ranting ..But a couple of questions:
1) Have any cavers been caught and fined in region 2 since the closure?
2) Is there any chance that the FS will see the light. so to speak, and cancel the closure in this area by Spring of 2013?
Signed,
A frustrated caver
Tootall
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 52863
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Colorado Mtn.

Postby NZcaver » Oct 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Tootall wrote:There isn't much to say because I'm sure this "Dead Horse" has already been beaten. Here in Colorado the USFS and its plan to save
all the Bats has just about brought the sport of caving to a halt for 2 years. I understand the serious nature of WNS and am all for implementing procedures for combating this problem in the appropriate regions.
Anyway no sense in ranting ..But a couple of questions:
1) Have any cavers been caught and fined in region 2 since the closure?
2) Is there any chance that the FS will see the light. so to speak, and cancel the closure in this area by Spring of 2013?
Signed,
A frustrated caver

Not sure why this has anything to do with access to a cave on private land in New York... but anyway, welcome to the forum.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby peter febb » Oct 27, 2012 7:24 am

beege33 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to locate the Indian Oven Cave in Millerton, NY. I know the cave property was purchased in recent years and has been deemed private property, no tresspassing. I do know that it is near or on Round Hill Mountain, a state-owned property in Millerton. Just spent the afternoon scouring the trail system on this mountain, and came up empty handed. Just curious if anyone has anything to share about locating this cave. I've also been googling around other message boards and blogs and although ive located a cave map, I havent found information regarding where the two cave entrances are.... THanks...

I only remember one entrance.
Perhaps you are confusing this cave with another?
-p
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Name: Peter Febbroriello
NSS #: 20246
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Postby Tootall » Oct 27, 2012 7:54 am

Sorry, not sure why this ended up on this thread.
Tootall
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 52863
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Colorado Mtn.

Postby Jpiecuch » Oct 29, 2012 7:38 am

Yup, one entrance, and on private land,permission needed. I've read conflicting info about conservation easements from the NC, etc, but the cave isn't on the conservancy land. Reading through old issues of the underground movement it sounded like the NCC was interested in managing it, like 4 years ago, but no mention since. Some cool formations up high in there, small cave, but worth a gander if you get permission.
Jpiecuch
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64409
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby ctcavr » Oct 31, 2012 1:53 pm

The owners of Indian Oven Cave (only one entrance) have definitively stated that the cave is closed and trespassers will be prosecuted. The owners have deeded a conservation easement over the land containing the cave but do not allow surface or subsurface visitation. The owners of the adjacent property where half of the trail to the cave is located, have also enforced their "No Trespassing" signs.

The cave has been impacted by WNS severely, and bat monitoring by the NYS DEC are the only ongoing legal trips into the cave. Hopes are that the bat population will stabilize and possibly rebound over time, provided the few remaining bats are not constantly disturbed over the winter by cavers/spelunkers.

In short, do not go there.

Bob Simmons CCG, NCC
ctcavr
Infrequent Poster

Postby Don Cuevas » Nov 1, 2012 2:40 pm

We visited it in my earliest caving days, back in the late '50s. At the time it was kind of interesting to a newbie, but in retrospect, it's not worth the hassle to look into it.
Don Cuevas
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 4428

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum