Anderson Spring Cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Anderson Spring Cave

Postby BrianFrank » Jul 9, 2012 10:17 am

I took two teens to Anderson Spring cave Sunday (Lafayette Ga). We had a great time! The water was low enough that we only got wet up to our knees. Saw some 6" red salamanders with black spots, a dozen (very healthy looking) bats, and a large bull frog that we caught in the cave and released at the entrance. The different levels with formations is quite amazing and in excellent condition. I guess since the cave is difficult to get to, very few people have had the opportunity to destroy the pretties. We only made it back halfway to the PVC container and look forward to seeing all of it in the future.

The hike back up to the car at the top of the mountain is brutal in 95 degree weather, especially if you are soaked. Too bad some agreement can't be worked out with the landowner to park near the cave. I would have paid a healthy parking fee to not have to walk up the mountain. If I had a mobile phone on me I would have called a taxi to drive me up to my car:-)

Would love to know who has made it back to the end of the cave. On my map that is where there is a 25' waterfall. Questions....are there more pretties in the last half of the cave and does the water get much deeper requiring any swimming?

All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Anderson Spring Cave

Postby Dat5un » Sep 5, 2012 1:18 am

I have been to the end of the cave. There is a 4 foot waterfall which we thought was the end. Luckily one of us decided to climb over the top of it and explore further. Sure enough there was the 25ft waterfall right around the corner. There is a rope hanging from it, tied up so as not to be in the water! I had no idea I would find that there so I wasn't prepared with vertical gear, but I guarantee I will be back to climb up and explore beyond. Anderson Springs is a great cave, Really enjoyed it!!
Jason Walburn | Over The Edge | Warehouse Manager, Sprat Level 1
-----------------------------------------------
Dogwood City Grotto | Public Relations
Dat5un
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jason Walburn
NSS #: 63812

Postby ON_ROPE » Sep 9, 2012 6:18 pm

The reason Anderson Spring is nice like it is because it has been protected by access issues for many years. The state owns the cave and allows access via a long walk. They have specifically asked the adjacent landowner NOT to allow access to help protect the cave. He has agreed.
If you make the trip back to the waterfall you will get wet, very wet. There is an ear dip in one place. Also remember this cave can flood and cut off your route to the entrance. It happened in 1979 it will happen again.
safe cavin,
Allen Padgett
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby mattfisher22 » Nov 22, 2016 9:05 am

Can anyone share the best legal way to access Anderson Spring Cave?

Thanks,
Matt
mattfisher22
New Poster

Postby bennettbike » Feb 17, 2017 10:55 am

lol, run around the mountain and run down some jeep trails... use the topo, its out there... find it.

and... whats beyond the hanging rope. does anyone actually know if anyone has found the real end and exhausted any leads off the main path that far back? maybe ill spend a day in there in a couple weeks.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 17, 2017 12:29 pm

I don't have the exact GPS to tell you. But, as was just stated, if you look at a Topo map it's above the cave at the top of a ravine. There is a well-worn path. It's a healthy walk back up the mountain when you are tired, be prepared. You will get soaked, plan on it.

As far as if Anderson has been fully explored? Most will say yes, but a couple people well know in the TAG community have told me that there is a crumbled rock area near the end that is very treacherous to try and climb over (or maybe through?), so people have given up pushing this lead because it's not worth the danger.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bennettbike » May 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Can somebody just go map past the 25 ft waterfall and let us know. The suspense kills me and I have no time for that.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 13, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm sure some have pushed to the hard end, but very few post their trip reports anymore. Too busy? No interest to include others in the love of caving? Who knows.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Nyxsis » Jun 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Afternoon! Hope no one minds me posting this on a 2011 post, but I wasn't sure if I should start a new topic.

I'm getting a group together of 2 other moderate cavers and some first timers to do Anderson Springs (figured since it's a nice horizontal it would be ok for some beginners), but I wanted to see if I could get some additional info pre-trip. First, I last ran this cave in 2003. I've looked around and can't find much on if there have been any changes since then (cave ins, etc.) Can I expect it to be mostly the same cave I last went in?

Also, I know there's a several mile hike in, but I'm having a devil of a time finding where the walk starts. I vaguely remember a slight gravel area for 2-3 cars, but I really need to track down more specific info for planning. If anyone could point me in the right direction to locate some specifics, that would be most helpful.

Thanks all!
Nyxsis
Infrequent Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Parking is 34.645215 -85.404241

Since this is over a mile from the cave in any direction, I hope I didn't break the rules?
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby danegarreau » Jun 28, 2017 8:16 pm

If you are on the correct dirt road you'll see the gravely parking area. Its actually pretty big. Big enough to turn a horse trailer around in.
danegarreau
Infrequent Poster

Postby Nyxsis » Jul 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks to both of you! Definitely helps planning car logistics (though trying to limit those as much as we can as well.)

Anyone been in the actual cave in the past year or two? Have there been any collapses, anything crazy? When we went (again ages ago) there was that one water crawl at the front, but then after there was a good long walking section that I figure would be a great cave introduction. Still one of my favorite caves I've done, and I've always wanted to get back there - but it can be tough with Georgia rain! lol

Thanks again all!
Nyxsis
Infrequent Poster

Postby bennettbike » Oct 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Guess you found out already ifs Probably the same cave. This forum needs help, I'm going to add myself to FB caving groups and link this page daily.

To loose this forum would be to loose a huge archive.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

bennettbike wrote:Can somebody just go map past the 25 ft waterfall and let us know. The suspense kills me and I have no time for that.

I'm pretty sure I have seen a map of beyond the 25' waterfall... I'll have to go look for it now ;)

Kelly
www.tagcaver.com
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby bennettbike » Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Ah, ill go look at the second zoomed in map again to be sure. If you have another that would be cool. I need to update myself with the gss and nss
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum