Forming a new grotto in the Desert

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forming a new grotto in the Desert

Postby Vadosian » Apr 4, 2006 11:31 pm

Hello NSS Cavers & Friends,

What are the chances of forming a new Grotto that meets out in the desert areas of Southern California? I know that we have at least four fine Grottos here in Southern California, but some of us have great difficulty attending the meetings due to travel distances involved, and, in my case, college commitments. Or, could we form a Grotto officially affiliated with one of the LA area Grottos and subject to their bylaws? This new Grotto or extension would meet, for example, in Palm Springs or in the San Gorgonio Pass area and would network with the parent Grotto, if affiliated, for caving trips and training sessions. I am currently President of our community college outdoor club, but thus far, the interest in caving in my group is rather dubious at best. And, naturally, I would want this new group to be within strict adherence to NSS policy's and ethics. What are your thoughts fellow cavers? Thanks, James Newman NSS#52148.
Vadosian
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 5, 2006 4:15 am

This came off the NSS Grotto page:

For information on how to start a new grotto or general grotto questions please contact: Keith Wheeland at keith@nssio.org.

I was a founding mother of the Triangle Troglodytes, back a bazillion years ago, or so it seems now. I think you need 5 NSS members to start a grotto.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Cindy Heazlit » Apr 5, 2006 2:22 pm

You also might want to talk to the Desert Dog Troglodytes. They have a lot of activities in the 29 Palms area. Yes, technically they are centered in Orange County, but I know they do a lot of work out in the Mojave.
Cindy Heazlit
Frequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum