Setting up a caving class

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Setting up a caving class

Postby Atomic Zagnut » Mar 31, 2006 10:15 pm

Howdy y'all! I'm an outdoor student at San Juan College in Farmington, NM. We have an excellent outdoor program here, but one thing that's missing is a caving class. Instead of going to the head of the program and saying "Hey, you should offer a caving class," I figured I'd do some preliminary research before my proposal to help him out. Since the NSS seems to be the authority on caving in the US, I thought I'd ask you guys some questions:
  • What sort of topics should be covered in an introductory caving class?
  • Are there any books that would make a great textbook? A "Caver's Bible" or sorts?
  • Is there a level 1 caving certification that could be earned through the NSS or some other organization upon successful completion of the class?
  • Is there anyone living in or near the four corners region of the southwest US who would be willing to instruct such a class?

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post more questions if I think of any. And, if there's anything you want me to clarify, feel free to ask me questions! Thanks in advance!
Atomic Zagnut
Infrequent Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 1, 2006 12:44 am

One thing that I'm a little hazy on; what exactly is an "outdoor program"?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Atomic Zagnut » Apr 1, 2006 1:58 am

I'm attending college and majoring in Outdoor Recreation. Classes focus on everything from wildreness ethics, such as Leave No Trace, to specific skill sets, such as backpacking or mountaineering. For more information on San Juan College's outdoor program, check out http://www.sanjuancollege.edu/pages/422.asp
Atomic Zagnut
Infrequent Poster

Postby Herman Miller » Apr 1, 2006 2:34 am

A very good question, just a quick brainstorm i thought of several things to include in a short intro class to training, and for the list:
safety equipment
caving ethics
oh and an absolute must are pretty pictures :grin:
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby NZcaver » Apr 1, 2006 3:29 am

Nice looking program. Pity I'm not living locally, it looks like fun. :kewl:

I'm sure there's some outdoor programs around that include caving components, but no specifics come to mind right now. I know there's plenty of college outdoor clubs that cave - some are even NSS grottos in their own right.

I would think a nice program could be put together covering ethics, equipment, safety, and trip organization/leadership. It could also include an intro to basic cave geology/hydrology/biology and perhaps some history/archaeology. You know - bats, carbonic acid, helictites, karst, that sort of thing. With some extra motivation, it could even incorporate vertical techniques.

When do I start? :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wendy » Apr 1, 2006 8:13 am

After intro to cave you could offer a vertical caving class. Of course besides safety being taught in a intro class, you would want to cover some rescue too. The National Cave Rescue Commission might could help with that.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby CaveJunkie » Apr 2, 2006 3:09 am

At Middle Tennessee State University they offer an Outdoor Recreation program similar to San Juan College. At that time they didnt have a "caving" class but they did incorporate caving into a class called "Wilderness Survival." Of course they only covered basic principle because the class was only a semester long, and there were a lot of different outdoor situations that needed to be covered. I actually got to lead the caving trip for the first class they had...
CaveJunkie
Frequent Poster

Name: James Woulfe
NSS #: 56791

Postby Cheryl Jones » Apr 2, 2006 11:28 am

*What sort of topics should be covered in an introductory caving class?

Conservation, safety, equipment, basic techniques, speleology (speleogenesis, geology, cave environments, cave flora and fauna, etc), responsible caving, cave rescue, caving with youth.

* Are there any books that would make a great textbook? A "Caver's Bible" or sorts?

Not really, but you could start with A Guide to Responsible Caving and Caving Basics Also check out some web pages such as Bob Robbins' http://cavingintro.net/index.html However, as with most sports, it is important to learn/take a course from someone who is accomplished in the sport.

* Is there a level 1 caving certification that could be earned through the NSS or some other organization upon successful completion of the class?

The NSS doesn't provide caving certification for dry caving, only offering/supporting cave diving and cave rescue certification.

Regrettably, the NM grottos are based far away from you in the southern part of the state, making easy access impossible. Additionally, and there are far fewer cavers in the SW USA than there are on the east coast.

Is there anyone living in or near the four corners region of the southwest US who would be willing to instruct such a class?

Join the NSS! You'll receive the Members Manual, and be able to look up cavers in your area. The current issue divides members by state and country, the next will list members simply by last name. The format alternates every year.

If you find there are students who want to become cavers you should start an NSS Grotto.

You'll probably find that, for a variety of reasons, cavers are adverse to the "cave-for-pay" concept that the Outdoor Recreation program apparently would be training students to lead. This element probably should be an important part of the course you put together -- why there is this attitude; the experiences cavers (and caves, landowners, and cave rescuers) have had with these programs; the perceptions cavers have of the the groups that offer caving for pay; and steps an outdoor recreation professional can/should take to mitigate the issues, operate a responsible program, and integrate and work with the caving community. Hmmm. Sounds like a topic for a research paper!

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Setting up a caving class

Postby Squirrel Girl » Apr 2, 2006 11:46 am

Atomic Zagnut wrote:Howdy y'all! I'm an outdoor student at San Juan College in Farmington, NM. We have an excellent outdoor program here, but one thing that's missing is a caving class.
Hey! I didn't look at your posting for several days. I *lived* in Farmington for 4 years during the 80s. The only thing you're missing are *caves*.

There are a very few, small, nasty caves in the San Juans. Nothing worth mentioning. There are a very few small caves in northern New Mexico. Nothing worth mentioning. The Guads are stellar. But a LONG way from Farmington. I know. I know all too well.

There's Gypkap, that's north of the Guads, but not by very much. A few tubes in the lava down south. But overall, Farmington is not much of a caving locale. Sorry!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Apr 2, 2006 7:36 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:...The NSS doesn't provide caving certification for dry caving, only offering/supporting cave diving and cave rescue certification...

I don't mean to split hairs, but the only *certification* the NSS provides in cave rescue is for those who become instructors with the National Cave Rescue Commission. All students completing NCRC OCRs and Weeklongs receive a certificate of completion - which is not to be confused with a "certification".

If students are taught caving as part of an outdoor leadership program, I think it would be a fine idea to include cave rescue - at least from a small party/critical decision-making perspective. Most outdoor leadership programs already include Wilderness First Responder certification (or similar), and a day or two of applying that knowledge to the cave environment could go a long way. :cool:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum