Cave in D.C. ?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave in D.C. ?

Postby killian » Feb 10, 2012 7:56 pm

I was just reading something about every state has atleast 1 cave. I also read that there was a few caves in D.C... was just wondering if neone knew of any? i figured that if there were one or a few they would prob just be shelter type caves of small wet holes that dont go more then a few feet.
Man i sure do like caving.....
killian
Prolific Poster

Name: Killian McCarthy
NSS #: 58343

Re: Cave in D.C. ?

Postby Caving Guru » Dec 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I don't know of any caves actually in DC but I do know of some in the DC area.
Last edited by Caving Guru on Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

They are Three Sisters Cave and DIfficult Run Cave. Three Sisters Cave is about 200 feet from the DC line and Difficult Run Cave is about 7 miles from the DC line.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JohnCrouch » Feb 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Some of us from the Facebook Group "I grew up in Arlington" (mostly in our mid-40s to 60s) are interested in organizing a group visit to the locations of the Three Sisters cave and one or two others further upriver in Arlington. Probably not exploring inside them, as our understanding is that the entrances were sealed. Some oldsters remember going to them in high school but can't remember the locations very well. I don't know about the etiquette of asking about caves, but we definitely would like to know, and would love to talk to someone who has been to them recently.
JohnCrouch
New Poster

Postby samoan27 » Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Where is the Three Sisters cave? I can't find anything about it other than it's in Arlington county. Does anyone have a gps location or at least directions?
samoan27
New Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Sep 2, 2014 4:38 pm

Yes, I know exactly where Three Sisters Cave is. I originally provided a pretty exact location of where it was here on this topic but a moderator deleted most of my post that gave away its location. At the time, I did not realize that you were not allowed to post locations on Cave Chat. I have both a GPS location and directions to the cave.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum