Isbell Spring on the way to Limrock Blowing Cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Isbell Spring on the way to Limrock Blowing Cave

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Six of us explored Limrock yesterday (1-15-2012). We went all the way back to the end (Stream from Walrus Pot). Took us about 7 hours as we spent some time taking pictures and exploring some dead end passages. We were worried that the cave would be flooded as some of the pastures close by Limrock had standing water from recent rains. It had rained pretty hard last week. But, the cave must drain pretty quickly as the deepest water we found was the very end and it was only waist deep. This was our first time to Limrock and even though we had a map we did not feel comfortable going further than the Register. But, as we were about to leave our truck to walk down the path a group of cavers drove up. Long story short....they were very experienced in Limrock and guided us through the entire cave. We made new friends and had a great time! I'm glad they drove up when they did as there was no way without them that we could have found our way through the "Snug" area. We would have missed the 30' Dome Room and the formations room just off from the 30' Dome. That room had beautiful soda straws and formations that glowed with the headlamps.

On the way to Limrock we stopped at a cave with water coming out of it that you could see from the road. This cave was located just 1-mile down the street from Limrock (South) at the corner of xxxxxx and xxxxxxx. We pulled off to the side of the road and explored the mouth of the entrance. The entrance was pretty large with a couple 6' tall walkways into the cave. The problem was the cave had at least waist high water coming out so we did not go in very far. We looked on the map and it said this was "Isbell Spring Cave". We spent about 20 minutes there and then went on to Limrock.

QUESTION: Does anyone know about this cave? Is it explored? Would love to know as it looked interesting from the entrance.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Isbell Spring on the way to Limrock Blowing Cave

Postby graveleye » Jan 16, 2012 2:36 pm

That sounds cool. Is it visible from the road? I drove right past there back in the summer but didn't see it, probably because of the leaves.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 16, 2012 3:44 pm

graveleye wrote:That sounds cool. Is it visible from the road? I drove right past there back in the summer but didn't see it, probably because of the leaves.

Yes, part of the entrance was visible from the road. If you are on the road to Limrock it was on the left at the base of the mountain, at the corner of the last road before you arrive at the Limrock parking area. The void of light hole drew us to it.....
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 16, 2012 4:01 pm

BrianFrank wrote:The void of light hole drew us to it.....

haha... we're attracted to the absence of light aren't we.

I'm sure it's on the Alabama Cave Survey inventory and has been mapped if there is anything to it, which it sounds like there is. And also, it has a name and it's on the side of the road, so I'm sure it's known. I'm not presently a member of the ACS, but will be soon. I can't wait either being so much information out there.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Scott Shaw » Jan 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Surveyed in 1971, 1860' long. Mazy.
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Scott Shaw wrote:Surveyed in 1971, 1860' long. Mazy.

Thanks Scott, good to know.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mtwebb96 » Jan 19, 2012 12:30 am

I visited this cave in 1989 just before the NSS Convention during the SERA at Mountian Shadows. We had visited Stephens Gap earlier in the day and a good friend from Nashville, Mike Bose was leading the trip. I am from Indiana so I was well versed on crawls stoops and lots of water. He said this was like an Indiana cave, I dont remember much but it was Mazie and wet and had some what Mike called crawls. Mikes idea of a crawl wasnt the same as mine, in Indiana we would call it walking passage! But it was a fun cave and we had a great time there! Thanks for stirring memories!
Funny thing I think the same year he lead us on a trip into Wolf River Cave in TN to the formation area seems to me was called the enchanted forest, not sure getting old here, lol. He told us there was one crawlway we would have to do. We were in the cave some time (over an hour) and I ask where is this crawl you mentioned? He replied we did that about 15 minutes ago. It was a stoop similar in height to the backbreaker in Sullivans Cave in Lawerence Co. Indiana. I could only think "wow, they have so much big cave down here that the stoops are called crawls". Again thanks for stirring memories!
mtwebb96
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mark Webb
NSS #: 23543
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 19, 2012 8:35 am

mtwebb96 wrote:I visited this cave in 1989 just before the NSS Convention during the SERA at Mountian Shadows. We had visited Stephens Gap earlier in the day and a good friend from Nashville, Mike Bose was leading the trip. I am from Indiana so I was well versed on crawls stoops and lots of water. He said this was like an Indiana cave, I dont remember much but it was Mazie and wet and had some what Mike called crawls. Mikes idea of a crawl wasnt the same as mine, in Indiana we would call it walking passage! But it was a fun cave and we had a great time there! Thanks for stirring memories!
Funny thing I think the same year he lead us on a trip into Wolf River Cave in TN to the formation area seems to me was called the enchanted forest, not sure getting old here, lol. He told us there was one crawlway we would have to do. We were in the cave some time (over an hour) and I ask where is this crawl you mentioned? He replied we did that about 15 minutes ago. It was a stoop similar in height to the backbreaker in Sullivans Cave in Lawerence Co. Indiana. I could only think "wow, they have so much big cave down here that the stoops are called crawls". Again thanks for stirring memories!

Thanks for the info. Don't think I could handle Indiana caving.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 24, 2012 1:08 pm

I thought this cave was closed? Did you not see any posted signs near the entrance, there used to be some. I know it is on private property.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 24, 2012 2:15 pm

rowland7840 wrote:I thought this cave was closed? Did you not see any posted signs near the entrance, there used to be some. I know it is on private property.

You would have to bring that up :grin:

Yes, we saw the sign as we were getting back in our truck. If we did want to explore this cave we would seek the owner's permission.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 24, 2012 3:28 pm

BrianFrank wrote:
rowland7840 wrote:I thought this cave was closed? Did you not see any posted signs near the entrance, there used to be some. I know it is on private property.

You would have to bring that up :grin:

Yes, we saw the sign as we were getting back in our truck. If we did want to explore this cave we would seek the owner's permission.

Yea, I just wouldn't want someone seeing your post and thinking the cave was open freely for visitation w/o seeking permission first. I know it's tempting, especially since it's roadside!
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 24, 2012 3:53 pm

It's not listed on the closed cave list unless I have gone blind.
If it's closed or posted, it probably should be on the list right?
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm

graveleye wrote:It's not listed on the closed cave list unless I have gone blind.
If it's closed or posted, it probably should be on the list right?

Kevin, you are correct. It is not on the closed cave list. You would have to inquire with Andy Z about adding it or his reasoning for it not being on there. Obviously due to the sheer number of caves in TAG it would be impossible to include all the closed caves on one list or it would be pages upon pages long... For the most part he gets his information from cavers and landowners about caves being closed and that is how the list gets updated. If my memory serves me correct, and perhaps Brian could answer this more accurately since he's been there recently, the sign reads "No Trespassing"... If the sign is that obvious that might be the reason it is not on the list.

And Kevin, you will be very pleased when you join the ACS. Their web site is really cool and you can log in from anywhere to see maps, read narratives, etc...! It's well worth they money to join...!
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jan 25, 2012 12:17 am

Rowland, you are correct it says No Treaspassing.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 25, 2012 9:07 am

rowland7840 wrote:
graveleye wrote:And Kevin, you will be very pleased when you join the ACS. Their web site is really cool and you can log in from anywhere to see maps, read narratives, etc...! It's well worth they money to join...!

yea, I'm a member of both the TCS and the GSS - I just haven't got around to joining up yet. I hear it's a really nice site they have.

About this cave, if it's on the roadside and off limits, it probably should be on the list to reduce the temptation that could lead to trouble.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum