micro blasting

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

micro blasting

Postby NICKSCAVE » Mar 27, 2006 7:08 am

I have been modifying cave passages for about 3 years now using the muzzmining method. This is very effective,but requires moving large amounts of gear to the area in question. I have been reading other methods of micro shaving, such as using hilti caps or possibly blank shell cartrages. I am wondering if anyone can give me a few ideas on how to use these 2 methods effectively :-)
Oh Boy,we may have to blast N.S.S 54295RE
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 27, 2006 9:20 am

If you don't know already, the Cave Diggers Yahoo Group may be your best resource: LINK.

Another option is to check out the commercially available kits. One from On Rope 1 uses Hilti caps. I couldn't find it on their website, but I didn't look real hard. It may not be listed. You may have to call for info.

BMS also has a kit that doesn't require a hammer to set it off. Much safer method.

But the best way to learn, since you are in Greenbrier County, is get with some cavers that are doing it already and learn from them. Nothing like on the job training. There are lots of diggers in that neck of the woods. The Cave Diggers Yahoo Group is the best way to get in touch with them.

Good luck. And if you get a chance, take some pics of you leads and update us on your progress. :kewl:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

micro blasting

Postby NICKSCAVE » Mar 27, 2006 9:37 am

Thanks for that info scott,You are right about greenbrier co. and o.t.j training. I have been doing this with several w.v.a.c.s members and landowners for a few years so I am very familiar with the muzzmining method,(muzzle loader pellets). What I was looking for was specific info or resorces dealing with hilti caps, which require a much smaller hole than our traditional half inch hole.Also, the smaller hole means more holes with a smaller drill that will run on batteries rather than larger two cycle drills or requiring hundreds of feet of 12-3 power cord. Any info would be greatly appreciated :doh:
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Postby NICKSCAVE » Mar 27, 2006 9:45 am

I forgot to mention a second ago, as far as pix of our leads check out caves.com photo gallery in ladder instalation pictures
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Postby George Dasher » Mar 27, 2006 11:12 am

You need to talk to Carroll Bassett.

He lives in Greenbrier County, WV and is a NSS member.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby NICKSCAVE » Mar 27, 2006 11:37 am

Hello george, thank you for that information. I just sent off a mail to Mr. bassett, so hopefully that will help :tonguecheek:
NICKSCAVE
Occasional Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum