Cave Bread

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Bread

Postby meptmoore » Oct 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Does anyone still have a copy of the Jewel Cave Adventure book? I seem to recall there was a recipe in there for Cave Bread which we used to make and take along with us many years ago. I since have lost track of it. Perhaps it is better of forgotten, however if anyone has a copy of the recipe, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
meptmoore
New Poster

Re: Cave Bread

Postby sawicks » Oct 16, 2011 3:45 pm

From Herb and Jan's Book:

Mix and bring to boiling point: 1.5 cups of water; 1.75 cups of sugar; 2 cups of applesauce; .5 cups of molasses; .66 cup of honey; 2 cups of shortening

Mix then add to the above: 8 cups of whole wheat flower; 2-2/3 cups white flour; .66 cup powdered milk; 1 teaspoon of salt; 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder; 1 teaspoon of cloves; and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Hope this helps.
sawicks
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62458
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Amocholes » Oct 19, 2011 5:16 am

Do you bake it or just eat it raw?
When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby sawicks » Oct 22, 2011 10:36 am

That is pretty much all the book says. I've never made it, I'm just familiar with the book.
sawicks
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 62458
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby LBShelley » Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

I've never made anything like this, but I'm an experienced baker, FWIW:

This is a HUGE recipe. You'd need at least three standard loaf pans to hold it, even though it doesn't have much leavening (soda and baking powder) for that amount of flour. IMO, it would come out quite dense and heavy. Which is probably the point, if it's meant to hold up in a rucksack during a long cave crawl.

Personally, I'd look for a more explicit recipe before plunging into the unknown depths of this one! But if anyone's planning to try it, I'd hazard an educated guess on a 350 F oven for approximately 45 - 55 minutes, and rotating the pans about 25 minutes into the baking time.
LBShelley
Infrequent Poster

Postby isny » Oct 8, 2012 7:03 pm

Has anyone tried this? The recipe has intrigued me, but I'm not a baker or very handy in the kitchen at all.
isny
New Poster

Postby Myrna Attaway » Oct 11, 2012 1:30 am

Ive made it. I cut the recipe in 1/4 and it was still quite a bit of dough to deal with.. I loved it but my freinds not so much. If i recall corectly, the baking time and temp were in the text of the book where they discuss the food they ate on the trips.
Myrna Attaway
Frequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum