First-Time Caver Needs Gear Advice

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

First-Time Caver Needs Gear Advice

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm a magazine editor and I'm working on a story about caving. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble finding women-specific gear in this sport. Do you all have ANY recommendations for the following items? Also, am I missing anything essential that every first time caver must have?

1. TOP

2. PANTS

3.BOOTS

4. PACK

5. HELMET/LANTERN

6. HEAD LAMP

7. KNEE PADS

8. GLOVES

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Best,
Cristina
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Postby Caver1402 » Mar 20, 2006 1:39 pm

Don't forget extra batteries and at least three sources of light, just in case one fails. :-) In cold caves, polypro is good to have. Cotton directly against the skin is bad.

Edit: Oh, and lots of water or gatorade ... getting dehydrated caving sucks!

Edit 2: I keep thinking of things ... I recently bought a balaclava. While this is good to keep guys and girls' heads warm, I especially like it because it helps keep longer hair from getting too tangled. :hairpull: I can show you some scary pre-balaclava pics.
Laura J. Lexander
NSS #52727 / Affiliated with the WCG, NNG, and IKC
CRF Eastern Operations Personnel Officer
http://lexanderfamily.com - Updated 07/28/09
Caver1402
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Laura J. Lexander
NSS #: 52727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Windy City Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Mar 20, 2006 1:58 pm

Cristina, can you tell us which region you will be caving in? I assume you are in the USA...
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 1:59 pm

Yup, US destinations!
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Postby mgmills » Mar 20, 2006 2:21 pm

Gloves - be sure they fit. A too big glove can be annoying plus dangerous and you don't get a good grip on things. I personally like the gloves you can fine in any garden department these days that are a knit fabric with a rubbery type material fused to the palms and fingers. They are great in caves that require climbing as you have a real good feel for the rock. Most of them have a tag which recommends them for use in muddy jobs.

Boots - my personal favorite in a caving boot is a kids size "workboot" purchased at K-mart, Wal-mart, etc. Cost ~$20. A lot of people use hiking boots but I find the padded ones annoying in water as they tend to soak up the water. The kids workboot is not padded and doesn't hold water. I do use an insole insert for extra support and padding for the sole of the foot.

Regarding the suggesting for a balaclava on the head. I use a bandana instead so I don't overheat. Of course I cave in TN, AL & GA where our caves are pretty much on the warm side. I do carry a balaclava in my pack in case I get cold.

Also, someone mentioned water but I'd add food. Caving takes a lot of energy. I always pack something for quick energy like sweets or carbs and something protein for extended energy. I like those pre-packaged cheese sticks you can buy at most convenience stores.

Talk with people who cave in the area in which you will be caving because caving conditions to vary greatly in the different regions of the US.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby wendy » Mar 20, 2006 2:25 pm

What magazine is this article going to be in? What other research are you doing? Are you giving any cave specifics?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm

Great tips, Mgmills!

Unfortunately, I cannot disclose the name of the magazine. However, I will let you all know as soon as the issue comes out, which will be in the next couple of months.

I have a writer going on a caving trip in Wales tomorrow. We were just going over gear this morning to make sure she's not missing anything.
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Mar 20, 2006 2:52 pm

Cristina wrote:Yup, US destinations!
Big country though, with many climatic zones and differing local clothing requirements.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 2:54 pm

This piece will be featured in one of our summer issues, so I hope to include warmer destinations with dry caves. The wet ones can be fun, but maybe too dangerous for beginners. What do you think?
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 20, 2006 2:55 pm

Cristina wrote:Great tips, Mgmills!

Unfortunately, I cannot disclose the name of the magazine. However, I will let you all know as soon as the issue comes out, which will be in the next couple of months.

I have a writer going on a caving trip in Wales tomorrow. We were just going over gear this morning to make sure she's not missing anything.

Have you thought of maybe getting someone in the NSS to proof the article to make sure it is accurate in details?
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 2:56 pm

You're right, Wendy. My writer will be speaking to NSS experts. I'm just working with her on a preliminary list.
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Postby wendy » Mar 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Cristina wrote:This piece will be featured in one of our summer issues, so I hope to include warmer destinations with dry caves. The wet ones can be fun, but maybe too dangerous for beginners. What do you think?

Are these commercial caves in the warmer destinations? A lot of caves are privately owned and the local caving clubs (grottos) work hard to establish land owner relations so cavers have access to the caves. Will the NSS be mentioned in the article and how its always good to contact the local NSS grotto if you want to go caving?

Also just because a cave is located in a warmer climate doesn't mean the cave will be warm. Here in Florida it can be 105 degrees outside and the cave will still be 72. That doesn't sound cold, but you could still get cold and need to have things in your pack in case your visit in the cave ends up longer than you had planned due to some sort of accident.

Please don't think I am coming down on you. I'm not. I'm sure your article will be great. :grin:
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby bigalpha » Mar 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Cristina wrote:This piece will be featured in one of our summer issues, so I hope to include warmer destinations with dry caves. The wet ones can be fun, but maybe too dangerous for beginners. What do you think?

I don't know about "too dangerous". My first cave was a wet, cold (it was snowing outside), crawling cave.

It depends on the conditions in the cave, the abilites of the caver. Smart caving is what it's all about.

Something that I think you've missed is passion. Gotta have a passion for it, or else it'll be miserable. It really takes a different mind-set to be squished in a really really small passageway, laying in really cold water. Not for the faint of heart.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Mar 20, 2006 3:58 pm

bigalpha wrote:Something that I think you've missed is passion. Gotta have a passion for it, or else it'll be miserable. It really takes a different mind-set to be squished in a really really small passageway, laying in really cold water. Not for the faint of heart.
Bigalpha said a lot right there. Many people are claustrophobic and caving just isn't their thing. Mud isn't for everyone. But for those of us who enjoy it, there's nothing better.

Funny thing, I find it's hard to find gloves BIG enough for my feminine fingies.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Cristina » Mar 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Thank you all for all your great input! Any great brands I should look into for each? What's your favorite boot? What's your favorite glove? What do you use as backup light sources?
Cristina
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum