New Cave Discoveries

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Cave Discoveries

Postby rlboyce » Aug 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Dug on a sucking hole this weekend with two other cavers and broke into a small room with a passage going off. A ton of spiders and crickets. The passage drops down into a passable enlarged joint, as does the air. I didn't explore it because I was the only one who could fit into the new cave and I didn't want to risk a no-rescue situation.

While digging, we discovered that the air is so strong going through the 8" high by 2.5' wide constriction that a low frequency "roar" can be heard 5 feet away from the entrance when we don't make noise. That, my friends, is usually a good sign for a cave digger. We will be back... very soon!
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby tncaver » Aug 29, 2011 7:13 pm

rlboyce wrote:Dug on a sucking hole this weekend with two other cavers and broke into a small room with a passage going off. A ton of spiders and crickets. The passage drops down into a passable enlarged joint, as does the air. I didn't explore it because I was the only one who could fit into the new cave and I didn't want to risk a no-rescue situation.

While digging, we discovered that the air is so strong going through the 8" high by 2.5' wide constriction that a low frequency "roar" can be heard 5 feet away from the entrance when we don't make noise. That, my friends, is usually a good sign for a cave digger. We will be back... very soon!

Awesome rlboyce,
Wise decision to stop before becoming a statistic. Go back and enlarge the hole so that everyone can fit. Also consider the size of a Skedd stretcher
in case of a real rescue. Then scoop virgin booty to the max. Good luck guys. I love caving. Don't you! :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Aug 29, 2011 9:08 pm

This sweet blower happen to be in Maryland?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby WVCaver2011 » Aug 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I have been working on a project for about a year and a half on and off. Didnt do any surveying this summer or last winter. This cave was once lost to time do to an angry land owner closing the cave. The landowner past away and I took advantage. The description of the cave said that it was a small several hundred foot cave...etc. The total surveyed length is now 8537.9 feet and counting. The total surveyed depth is 165.7 feet. It's a complex network maze cave.
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby Gumby » Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

Congratulations Allen, I'm sure your having a blast; just be safe and tread lightly if your not supposed to be there. It seems like most of our caves are on private property, and we try to get as much permission as we can, but sometimes our spirit to discover " never before seen by human eyes " caves and caverns becomes overwhelmed and we sometimes stray just a bit.
never kick a cow turd on a hot day.
Gumby
Occasional Poster

Name: Kevin Kealey
NSS #: 63378

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Well few weeks ago our little survey group dug out a restriction in an already known cave, and found about 2500 feet of virgin cave in SW Missouri. Survey is on going.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby WVCaver2011 » Aug 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Gumby wrote:Congratulations Allen, I'm sure your having a blast; just be safe and tread lightly if your not supposed to be there. It seems like most of our caves are on private property, and we try to get as much permission as we can, but sometimes our spirit to discover " never before seen by human eyes " caves and caverns becomes overwhelmed and we sometimes stray just a bit.

Oh no, I have permission. I dont cave without it. Most caves get closed due to land owners getting ticked off at people treading on there property without permission. That's how the caves surrounding the cave i'm surveying got closed. I'm hoping to get permission to map these as well. That will be later down the road after this cave is completed!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby tncaver » Aug 30, 2011 3:49 pm

boogercaver71 wrote:Well few weeks ago our little survey group dug out a restriction in an already known cave, and found about 2500 feet of virgin cave in SW Missouri. Survey is on going.

Awesome. You need to do that on your land in KY, boogercaver71. I've got several digs going on my self but no big breakthroughs yet. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » Aug 30, 2011 5:22 pm

tncaver wrote:
boogercaver71 wrote:Well few weeks ago our little survey group dug out a restriction in an already known cave, and found about 2500 feet of virgin cave in SW Missouri. Survey is on going.

Awesome. You need to do that on your land in KY, boogercaver71. I've got several digs going on my self but no big breakthroughs yet. :big grin:

I'm giving up on my dig in KY, in fact my land is going up for sale this Fall, but my neighbor on the next ridge has one going that I am helping with.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

The sweet blower in Maryland

Postby Bumbalawski » Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm

This cave (Tanglefoot Cave) was found in the late spring of this year. Air was discovered issuing from a rotton tree stump. This particular area has alot of "air". It is in Greenbrier limestone. One cave was opened by an old quarrying operation. The others were blowholes in the quarries, needing opened. Two are "naturally occuring" and not near the quarries. Both naturals required digging. All the caves in this 0.60 mile area exhibit "really fine" air. Truly an unique find for Maryland. Actually, this area has the most caves per square mile than any other area in Maryland. Five of the seven known cave discoveries in this area have actually occured in the past two years. More yet to be found with many more blowholes within a "stone's throw". :banana_yay:
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby nathanroser » Aug 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Excellent, love to join the effort when I get a break from college and can come home to MD for a bit. I assume since they're in the Greenbrier they're out in Garrett County?
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Bumbalawski » Aug 31, 2011 8:07 am

You are more than welcome to join us. Actually, they are in Allegany County Greenbrier.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum