Need help finding cave on my property

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need help finding cave on my property

Postby Bumbalawski » Aug 22, 2011 9:27 am

I used Google Earth to look your area over. I note there is one old large quarry and two smaller quarries. Also the area is relatively flat except for one ridge. I also seen a few filled areas. Perhaps the cave got consumed by a quarry operation. I will PM you to see if I have the correct area and send you a GE placemark.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby jutgin » Aug 22, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm not sure if I should just post my address on here or not? There is an old quarry a few miles from here, it's a nature/dog park now. I'm looking it up on google earth now, I'll let you know what I see and may post up address.
jutgin
Infrequent Poster

Postby jutgin » Aug 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Well its covered with trees on google earth.
Who wants to come see it in person and simply talk to me about it? I'm eager to learn, and have some new info from the man across the street that HAS BEEN in it when he was young.
jutgin
Infrequent Poster

Postby evanrobinson1985 » Nov 29, 2015 9:09 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious to find out if you ever found the entrance to the cave. If not, have you asked the neighbor if he would be nice enough to come over and maybe try to point you in the right direction? Another good thing to try would be to see if any local grottos or the NSS might have a cave survey of your area which might tell you the exact location and the name it had. Lidar might be another option. Even though it had been filled/covered. A good lidar map might give you some clues if you look at the ground layer.
Evan Robinson NSS# 63985
evanrobinson1985
Occasional Poster

Name: Evan Chandler Robinson
NSS #: 63985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tampa Bay Area Grotto

Postby l lambert » Nov 29, 2015 10:58 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/North ... a1c9f198f4

The link above will show the quarry/dogpark I think he was talking about. Big Ridge is located just to east and runs N-NE by S-SW. There is a layer of Ordovician Newala limestone that runs the length of the ridge at it's base. Most of the ridge is Ordovician/Cambrian Knox group. To the west of the Newala lay Ordovician Chickamauga supergroup. The Newala produces the biggest passage in the area but potential is in all rock mentioned. I personally would not put much stock in some kind of method to find caves there but would instead seek out a caver with knowledge of the local stone. I do know of some caves very near there that are in the Newala formation. I never heard from the gentleman but would be glad to take a look. Guess he either got help,found his way in or gave up. :shrug:

edit to add: Not trying to diss cave finding methods but I have never seen the technology that could out do a knowledgeable caver familiar with the area limestone. :big grin:
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum