Does anyone know this Va cave?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Does anyone know this Va cave?

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm going to Va. in a couple of weeks. I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a cave I have already spent some time in or look for something new. Since I'm visiting family I probably won't have time for both. So, I'd like to describe the cave I'm considering and see if anyone else has been there.
It is in Tazewell Co. in the general area of Maiden Springs. I believe it is on the same mountain or at least fairly near Corkscrew. The cave is in a pasture in a large sink toward the bottom of the mtn. There is a John Deere tractor wedged against a tree in the sinkhole though I don't know how long it's been there. The cave has numerous levels, a 30 ft.? pit a few hundred feet in on the left. Nearer the entrance there are several steep, small, smooth tubes descending from the right wall. At the bottom of these is a 5/7ft. drop followed by a tight squeeze and then opening back into brief walking passage. Deeper in the cave at a higher level there is an area that seems to have been enclosed by formation at some point but into which a hole has been broken to allow entry. After that there is a steep drop of perhaps 60 ft. At the bottom passage leads to a large room with an extremely deeply cracked dirt floor.
There a various other passages including some I haven't yet explored, I tried to pick out the descriptive ones. In the unlikely event that anyone has any idea what cave I'm talking about, I'm curious to know if it has a lot more to offer, or if I should move on. I also wonder if it may be Stompbottom cave, listed at 7.7miles, since several folks claim it in that area. The owner claims not to know. Thanks folks. I trust that if this question is improper you will forgive me or at least condemn me gently.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum