Caves near Atlanta GA

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves near Atlanta GA

Postby jtr10 » Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Does anyone know if there are any caves in the City of Atlanta or within I-285? Thanks
jtr10
New Poster

Re: Caves near Atlanta GA

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2011 2:23 pm

I grew up inside the perimeter and far as I know there are no caves inside 285. There are a couple OTP, but they're small and not worth the time. Storm drains in Atlanta are much more abundant.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby agosnell » Apr 13, 2011 7:09 pm

There is one in Rockmart, GA. West of Atlanta. Easy to find. It has been a sacrificial cave for as long as i can remember. There is a nice little hole that runs under the road....seemingly inches below the road...cuz you can hear the cars over head.

There are some formations, mostly painted and broke...several small little holes to wonder off in.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Name: Alvin Gosnell
NSS #: 48081
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby joeperryps3 » May 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I live in north ga and all he research i have done says all the caves in ga are up near "TAG" and a few way down in south ga next to Alabama and Flordia.
joeperryps3
Infrequent Poster

Name: Joe Perry

Postby MUD » May 18, 2011 6:09 pm

graveleye wrote:Storm drains in Atlanta are much more abundant.
A city boy's haven of caverns! :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby rebelfirefighter » May 19, 2011 5:39 am

agosnell wrote:There is one in Rockmart, GA. West of Atlanta. Easy to find. It has been a sacrificial cave for as long as i can remember. There is a nice little hole that runs under the road....seemingly inches below the road...cuz you can hear the cars over head.

There are some formations, mostly painted and broke...several small little holes to wonder off in.

Sounds like a good place for a tractor trailer to come crashing down on your head. That'd be another addition to that long list that was floating around of ways to die in a cave. I'll pass on that one!
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby agosnell » Jun 5, 2011 4:23 pm

Only one of the many passages goes under the freeway. If you are needing a cave....that is the closest to Atlanta that I am aware of.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 6, 2011 8:17 am

Are you referring to White River Cave? It's one of two caves I know in Rockmart. It is right next to a major highway but certainly doesn't go under the highway but you can hear the traffic a good halfway back through the cave. The other cave nearby is Deaton's Cave.
White River is closed now by a big sturdy gate and is being cared for by a thoughtful caver/owner. Not sure about Deaton's Cave though I think it is closed, but people still go in it. Both caves are trashed and spray painted pretty well. Some work has been done to clean up White River and it's now home to a fairly large bat population.

There are a few caves in the Cartersville area, however the ones worth seeing are pretty much closed to the public. There is one cave near Kingston that goes a few feet under a highway, but I would bet the whole cave is not more than 30' short.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby agosnell » Aug 20, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't think I ever knew the name of the cave next to the road, it was so very trashed with spray paint. It was about 20 to 40 feet off of the road.
It is good to hear that it is no longer open.

And if you are referring to the same cave as I is it possible we found some passage that is not on the survey? Cause we found a little hole that went under the road and beyond. I am not a cave cartographer but I am fairly certain of where we was in there. It is the hole that is really close to the entrance, and it is going in the direction of the road but to left (if facing the road) about 15 degrees.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 22, 2011 2:40 pm

when did you find this? I know the hole you're talking about, but these days it doesn't go anywhere. The map was made back in the 70s and it shows the same passage.
If there is another level or something I would love to know about it. I just talked to the owner this past Saturday about doing some more graffiti removal. When we get a date and time together you're welcome to come and help out. The owner is a cool dude.

Can you believe they have had NO break in's in a couple of years? That's awesome.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby agosnell » Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Hmm, just guessing but it was early 90's.

Where I was, was a lot of flat breakdown in large pieces. It was mostly crawl. We heard weird noises. My buddy and I stopped trying to figure out what it was.
After a couple of stops and listening. We figured out that what we was hearing was cars above our heads making noise from passing over the road above us. You could hear kauthunk kauthunk and feel the vibrations in the rock.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Aug 31, 2011 8:23 am

that's weird... I suppose it's possible, but even the strata in that area slopes away from the highway. There is one little spot that seems to trend back towards the highway, but doesn't go anywhere.

Back after the big floods of 2009 the owner went in there and found the entire back part of the cave was filled with deep water. In the area after the entrance he was hearing lots of water running and gurgling, so it's possible there is a lower level... either that or it was just some unique reverberations.

Are you still in the area? If you want, we can go back and have a look. They love cavers to stop in for a visit.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby DeanWiseman » Aug 31, 2011 10:37 am

I found it highly ironic that while I was living in "TAG" (Georgia.. Augusta to be precise), I was actually further away from the nearest significant TAG cave than when I lived in Indianapolis.

:rofl: :doh: :shrug:

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm

I thought we kicked Augusta out of Georgia and just let SC have it :grin:
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby bgold » Apr 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Help! My four almost five year old is obsessed with caves and crystals. He wants to go to a cave for his birthday and bring two friends. I am not a caver and have no idea where we can do this. We live in metro atlanta (near Stone Mountain). Does anyone know of a cave that would be appropriate for five year olds to check out this Saturday?
bgold
Infrequent Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum