Caving insurance

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby lbartel » Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm

That list of 6 includes "Cave exploration". Just what is "cave exploration" and does it differ from a "cave tour"? Most of my trips fall in the "tour" category. "Exploration" to me means going where few (if any) have gone before. Also, almost all "exploration" begins with a "tour" to the passage in question.

The final answer may very well have to be handled in the courts.

- les
lbartel
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 32504

Postby Sean Ryan » Feb 28, 2006 1:44 pm

The most dangerous part of cave trips are the car ride there and back. I've heard that several times now, and can vouch for its truth both personally and for the people I cave with. My big fear is that any injuries done while driving to or from a cave will be denied coverage, since it's after all the most dangerous part of a "dangerous" activity.

Maybe we shouldn't be posting this here. There's probably some full-time insurance guys just looking for new loopholes to not pay for coverage.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Caving insurance

Postby cob » Feb 28, 2006 9:16 pm

ethan wrote:I was very close to being six for six at the time, but alas I'm only "scoring" a two right now! Hopefully I can work my score back up over the next year or so.

Ethan

Ethan... so very sad to hear of the down turn in your quality of life... May yours (and mine) soon turn the corner back to real living.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Feb 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Apparently in Canada, at least some of our local banks provide travel insurance (health coverage) incluiding caving activities but I am still chasing that down.I am glad no real bad horror stories about being denied have been posted.I am hoping that=few getting hurt and having to find out!In any manner I want to find out for sure as a fellow meber brought it up.I posted here as the demographic is rather large.If I find anything truly covering "wild caving" as opposed to tours I will post the info.I was impressed with the system the Brits have posted on the web.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lookingaround » Mar 2, 2006 12:18 am

I did some online searching and found some underwriting information for several sports. It appears that at Prudential, "Cave Exploration/Spelunking" doesn't have any additional cost.

See http://www.lenzfinancial.com/rx/Rx137.pdf for their info.
lookingaround
Occasional Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Mar 2, 2006 10:33 am

lookingaround wrote:I did some online searching and found some underwriting information for several sports. It appears that at Prudential, "Cave Exploration/Spelunking" doesn't have any additional cost.

See http://www.lenzfinancial.com/rx/Rx137.pdf for their info.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum