3-D Caving Thriller by James Cameron!

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

3-D Caving Thriller by James Cameron!

Postby Cheryl Jones » Nov 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Sanctum Coming in February....in 3-D!
http://www.youtube.com/sanctumthemovie
http://sanctummovie.com/

Looks scary! :yikes: :yikes:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: 3-D Caving Thriller by James Cameron!

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Oh, yeah. Suck some ceiling. Looks good.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby boogercaver71 » Nov 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Where are the blood sucking monsters? :shrug:
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby rlboyce » Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm

He-aeallllll yeah!!!

I'm sure this will get all kinds of criticism from the caving community, but it's nice to see a slightly more serious caving movie than those other unmentionable movies. Those were some pretty cool shots in the trailer! It will be interesting to watch "the making of..." to see how they shot the scenes, what caves they went to, and some of the challenges they encountered.

Wonder if this movie will spawn a new surge of interest in caving? I'd say your going to see a few more people wanting to go underground, but probably not a ridiculous amount. I bet some of the next generation of cavers will cite this movie as their inspiration for first going underground. I'm sure I will get a lot more questions from coworkers about whether I've been in one of the situations depicted in this movie. LOL, my mother will probably be three times as paranoid about me caving after watching this... thanks a lot James Cameron!

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Hey... all those professional cavers, and I didn't see a single Sten! This movie's got to be fake. :tonguecheek:
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 22, 2010 8:15 am

Finally! A movie that shows what caving is really like. It's about time! :roll:
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 23, 2010 3:53 am

that surface pit looked like it was about 3000 feet deep too. Wonder where that is.............. besides hollywood ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 23, 2010 9:09 am

Chads93GT wrote:that surface pit looked like it was about 3000 feet deep too. Wonder where that is.............. besides hollywood ;)

Looked a lot like Golondrinas to me.

Looking at IMDB I found this:

Based on the true story of co-writer Andrew Wight. He once went deep-sea diving and became trapped with fourteen other people in a cave for two days. Their entrance collapsed and they had to look for another way out.

And from a cavediver.net discussion about Andrew Wight:

Aus cave diver who led a cave diving expedition into Pannikin Plains Cave on the Nullarbor Plains in Aus in 1988 (or thereabouts)

They were filming a doco (Nullarbor Dreaming) as well as exploring. Mainly Aus divers but also included Rob Palmer and Wes Skiles. The water on the Nullarbor is about 90m below the surface and in this cave a few 100m into the cave. Towards the end of the expedition when hauling gear out, there was a freak storm which dumped inches of rain in a short period of time. The cave doline acted as a bath tub outlet for the surrounding plain and the water poured in causing part of the cave entrance to collapse. Most of the divers were well inside the cave at the lake's edge, and were "trapped" there for 24 hours or more until the cave stopped "moving" and they were able to negotiate a new way out. No-one was hurt

http://www.gwptv.com/Site/About%20Andrew.html

Access to the cave has been "closed" since. A pity because its the best dive out there.

I'm a little worried that the movie will start with "Based on a true story." and then feature all sorts of unrealistic situations and bad practices that people will assume are realistic. Otherwise I'm always excited to see a caving movie even if it's awful.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby JR-Orion » Nov 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Will check this out.

:kewl:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby steven.millett » Jan 6, 2011 11:33 am

Here's the real story:

http://www.cavediving.com.au/cave-divin ... from-cave/

Based on this it sounds like Andrew was not one of the 13 stuck in the cave. Its a little unclear if they were dug out through the original entrance or the other entrance with visible light.
steven.millett
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56243
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 6, 2011 4:04 pm

Im gonna go see it even though there are no crawlers in it~!!!!! :bananabat:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 18, 2011 5:14 am

As a cave diver, everyone and his brother has been asking me about this movie.

I notice that it's only "inspired" by true events. Which is all based on the Nullabor flood. But as I watched the trailer, I noticed another event that rang familiar. There's a place where a rope gets cut and someone falls to the water. That makes me think of the event where the rope gets cut on Norm Pace in Yochib. I should re-read that event and see what happens in the movie.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 18, 2011 6:01 pm

http://www.movieweb.com/news/james-came ... lk-sanctum

Andrew Wight: I was leading a cave diving expedition in Western Australia a few years ago now, and we were exploring the under water cave system. On the last day of the expedition it was pouring rain on all of our equipment and most of the people were engaged in that activity. I was on an edge filling tanks up. A freak storm hit the area and what started as a trickle of water into the cave turned into a torrent, which then started to collapse the entrance of the cave. Literally a boulder the size of an SUV was rolling down into the cave. You could hear the clatter of scuba tanks banging against the walls and it trapped initially fifteen of us below, myself included. I managed to escape through the torrent after about five hours of just waiting. It got to the point where I thought, either we make a run and get killed in the avalanche or we stay here and get flattened like a pancake. So obviously the first option was a better one. Then it took another two days to get the rest of the crew out by exploring. So that was really the inspiration for this movie. Then to use that story, the real life drama of that, and put it with a fictional story that plays out so people can react to what it's like to be trapped. I can tell you, even if you enjoy the activity of exploring caves, to be trapped and not know if you are going to get out alive is terrifying.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Aaron Addison » Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:As a cave diver, everyone and his brother has been asking me about this movie.

I notice that it's only "inspired" by true events. Which is all based on the Nullabor flood. But as I watched the trailer, I noticed another event that rang familiar. There's a place where a rope gets cut and someone falls to the water. That makes me think of the event where the rope gets cut on Norm Pace in Yochib. I should re-read that event and see what happens in the movie.

I wish I had higher confidence that the movie going public would be able to differentiate between "inspired by" and "documentary".

Just sayín.

AA
------------------------------
Aaron Addison
Stop and ask yourself - "What is this map for?"
Aaron Addison
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Jan 21, 2011 8:39 am

It says it was shot on location in Gold Coast, Australia.

The infamous helicopter shot looks similar to Golondrinas (but is not). However several shots at the bottom of that hole look like the inside of Golondrinas.

What im interested to know if there are any big open air pits like that actually in Australia.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum