3-D Caving Thriller by James Cameron!

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 3-D Caving Thriller by James Cameron!

Postby WVCaver2011 » Feb 2, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm going to see it this Friday!!!! :big grin:
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby MUD » Feb 2, 2011 12:37 pm

:big grin: We're goin! Linda and I are wearing our helmets. :grin:

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 2, 2011 2:03 pm

The Gold Coast of Australia is north of Brisbane on their east coast. The Nullarbor Plane (where the original accident occurred) is south Australia and is the world's largest piece of limestone according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain. I've never heard of such a pit in Australia.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby trogman » Feb 2, 2011 3:13 pm

I wonder how much better this movie is in IMAX than in 3D in a regular theater. I could drive an extra 70 miles (one way) to Atlanta to see it on IMAX, but I am wondering if it is worth it. The admission price is about the same. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Either way, this is definitely one of those movies I want to see in the theater, and not wait until it comes out on DVD. :kewl:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 2, 2011 6:22 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:The Gold Coast of Australia is north of Brisbane on their east coast. The Nullarbor Plane (where the original accident occurred) is south Australia and is the world's largest piece of limestone according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain. I've never heard of such a pit in Australia.

What pit?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Sierra Echo » Feb 4, 2011 8:27 pm

I went ans saw Sanctum tonight and really enjoyed it. I will probably buy it when it comes out on DVD!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 4, 2011 10:03 pm

OK, so there a hundred things about the movie that a person could nit pick on. Overall, I liked the movie, despite the dippy bits.

But one thing that bothered me through the WHOLE movie was..... How the heck did they keep those Petzl Duos working in all that water? Duos are notorious for not doing well in water.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Feb 5, 2011 5:05 am

Squirrel Girl wrote:How the heck did they keep those Petzl Duos working in all that water? Duos are notorious for not doing well in water.

Really? First I've heard of that. I have a couple of Duos which have been underwater with no problem, and know several cavers who happily do a lot of wet caving with them (though not technically cave diving).

There was an intermittent switch issue reported with some Duos back in 90's, but I don't think it was related to water. :shrug:

Glad you enjoyed the movie. It's on my to-do list, but sadly I have no local cavers to see it with. :cry:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 5, 2011 5:57 am

NZcaver wrote:
Squirrel Girl wrote:How the heck did they keep those Petzl Duos working in all that water? Duos are notorious for not doing well in water.

Really? First I've heard of that. I have a couple of Duos which have been underwater with no problem, and know several cavers who happily do a lot of wet caving with them (though not technically cave diving).

There was an intermittent switch issue reported with some Duos back in 90's, but I don't think it was related to water. :shrug:

Glad you enjoyed the movie. It's on my to-do list, but sadly I have no local cavers to see it with. :cry:

Mmmm, I bought a Duo and had some expeditionary friends give me a lot of crap over it. I bought it a few years ago, just when IMO had some homemade LED insets--something like 24 LEDs; not the Petzl LEDs. I wound up only using it in dry caves and it was OK. Finally did kill it by getting it wet. Bummer. Though now I have a Sten. :big grin:

Anyhoo, back to the movie.... I went to the movie yesterday. Couldn't wait for the local cave divers. FREAKED me out. I heard *my* words coming out of the mouth of an actress. I guess I should think kindly that it's an homage, but it's WEIRD. Not the least of some other weird stuff, but I digress.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby David Grimes » Feb 5, 2011 6:39 am

I am planning to go when I get back down to Florida, I am just too busy getting things organized right now. I'm glad you liked it, hopefully I will.

On a side note concerning light waterproofing issues, I have a PT Apex which is almost known for having issues with water but mine has been fully submerged several times with no problem at all. I guess sometimes you just get one from a good batch.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Primitivist37 » Feb 5, 2011 6:40 am

I just walked out of this movie. I have a very low tolerance for terrible acting and this was a spectacular example.

I've read a bit about the plot and it does seem somewhat far fetched but based on a true story. Any cave movie is going to show loads of poor technique and no-nos and so obviously this is no exception.

As to Australian Limestone. The Nullabor is riddled with caves. I had a lecturer at uni who had done plenty of diving there doing research on slime walls which are almost endemic to that area. I've not gotten into cave diving yet, but I understand that there is a huge amount of it to be done throughout the Nullabor.

The cave in that movie bears no resemblance to any cave I've seen in Australia. We have few wet caves and even fewer inlet caves.

The deepest cave we have here is a sump at the bottom of Ice Tube/ Growling Swallet which is a paltry -345m. Of course the film wasn't based in Australia, I just hope it doesn't get peoples expectations up of Australian caving.
Primitivist37
Infrequent Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 5, 2011 10:07 am

Primitivist37 wrote:The cave in that movie bears no resemblance to any cave I've seen in Australia. We have few wet caves and even fewer inlet caves.

The movie was shot on location in Australia but the opening sequence said they were in Papua New Guinea.

The movie was a bit over the top. Terrible techniques abound. Who carries only two lights, and runs them both at the same time?

And yes, Ive never thought as Duos as efficient dive lights.

I've never been on a "supercave" (thanks Tabor) expedition, but I would take wild guess that lights are just not randomly placed around the cave and left on, or that anyone brings in a Macbook Pro to the forward camp.

Squirrel Girl you said some of the dialog was yours, which part(s)?
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 5, 2011 10:15 am

Amazingracer wrote:Squirrel Girl you said some of the dialog was yours, which part(s)?

The first lady to panic and die! :tonguecheek:

"Frank" also said words I've heard Bill Stone speak.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby mminton » Feb 5, 2011 5:26 pm

Primitivist37 said:

>The deepest cave we have here is a sump at the bottom of Ice Tube/ Growling Swallet which is a paltry -345m. Of course the film wasn't based in Australia, I just hope it doesn't get peoples expectations up of Australian caving.

I thought Anne-a-Kananda was Australia's deepest cave at -373 m. That's what all the lists say, anyway.
mminton
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 58116
Primary Grotto Affiliation: GVKS

Postby Primitivist37 » Feb 5, 2011 7:07 pm

mminton wrote:Primitivist37 said:

>The deepest cave we have here is a sump at the bottom of Ice Tube/ Growling Swallet which is a paltry -345m. Of course the film wasn't based in Australia, I just hope it doesn't get peoples expectations up of Australian caving.

I thought Anne-a-Kananda was Australia's deepest cave at -373 m. That's what all the lists say, anyway.

That number (-373) was rattling around my head and when I looked at my maps of Tasmanian caves I could only see Ice Tube which was -345 and I thought that that wasn't the deepest. Thanks for correcting me. Unfortunately every trip I have tried to organise into these caves has fallen through. One day...
Primitivist37
Infrequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum