Looking For...

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking For...

Postby rhuben50 » Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Hello!
Does anyone know Dave Goldman?
If so please let him know Mike Russo has been trying to make contact.
Thanks.
Mike
rhuben50
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mike Russo
NSS #: 14147
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Formerly Met Grotto

Re: Looking For...

Postby moudist » Mar 9, 2011 11:32 am

I started out caving as a Met Grotto member and went on many trips with Dave Goldman searching for NY caves (digging a lot) upstate, doing the Gun Barrel, and traveling down to West Virginia for Organ and others. We had first met at grotto meetings, back then they were down in the lower level of the Museum of Natural History up on W 81st. This was in the late 60s and early seventies. If he's the Dave your looking for I couldn't say, but I noticed your former Met Grotto affiliation. This Dave, at the time, lived in Yonkers, NY, nearby the Grand Concourse or such road. We lost track of each other, and haven't seen him in the member list pub. Checking on here doing a Goldman search I found your post, funny.

Anyway, sorry not to be of much help. There was another guy Dave caved with a lot. I forgot his name but he was really fun on trips, etc. since he was just like Tommy Chong (of Chech & Chong), hippie beard, hair, funny, etc. Did you cross paths with him at all?

John
moudist

Postby rhuben50 » Mar 10, 2011 10:37 am

Hello John!
That's him, good discription. Last mention of Dave was in a WV Cave rescue in the 90s when he was living in the Louisburgh area and again in an NSS article. The article was about three or four years back.
Mike
rhuben50
Infrequent Poster

Name: Mike Russo
NSS #: 14147
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Formerly Met Grotto

Postby ronnie » Sep 22, 2014 9:39 am

HI John,

Me and Karen knew you from back then at the Grotto; we caved with Dave on his trips to weevacks and my last trip was with dave and me alone going to the "hole", senedgers
crookshank which dave loved and another which i forget the name. have not seen or heard from dave since about 1984. At the time he was managing a small commercial cave
I believe and wanted to open a museum there of franklin minerals but it was so long ago, that is all I can remember.

he was a one-off phenomena and i miss him; he never got that big break of stardom i'm afraid but he was certainly one giant human being of stature and the general public has
been cheated by his apparent absence.

Hope he pops up again.

rgds,

Ronnie

ps
i remember your name and i believe you were on the trip when we all rappelled down 100 feet into crookschank and came out the other end somehow. If I remember correct, You were
a heavy stocky powerful guy who Dave admired very much.
ronnie
New Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum