OK so who's been caving?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Eve » Aug 20, 2006 7:53 pm

How did you manage to break your finger while walking?
Eve
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 50678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Eve wrote:How did you manage to break your finger while walking?

Slipped on some rocks in a dry creekbed and tried to arrest my fall with my hand. I have to wear a splint but i don't like it. It's my writing hand.
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719

Postby Hatch » Aug 20, 2006 11:19 pm

I was behind him when he fell and saw it. His feet just went to the right and he fell on his left side. It was my 13th caving trip, so I guess something was bound to happen. At least he "self rescued" by making the through trip un-assisted. :wtg:
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765

Postby kvart » Aug 21, 2006 7:58 am

message posted by Martha under Kvart - deleted and reposted correctly.

Sharing a computer has some disadvantages :oops:

Martha here logging out from Kvart's name and trying again
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby mgmills » Aug 21, 2006 8:18 am

JoeyS wrote:
Slipped on some rocks in a dry creekbed and tried to arrest my fall with my hand. I have to wear a splint but i don't like it. It's my writing hand.

Bummer - I've seen several falls in TAG area streambeds. Those rocks sometimes look dry but they have that "slime" layer on them. Also remember to watch for snakes in those dry streambeds. :-)

Gross Skeleton is one of my favorite caves. This time of the year the water does sometimes get a little stagnent in places. Did you guys climb up the breakdown to the big room (between the two swim sections)?

I didn't go caving but did get on rope with some other cavers at DeSoto Falls near Mentone, Alabama at the Dogwood City Grotto picnic.

I learned that if you haven't used your ropewalker in 3 years the best place to ressurect it is not in water over your head under a small waterfall. :laughing: Rigging onto a rope while floating in the water is not as easy as it sound. Took me forever to get on rope correctly every thing kept getting tangled. I should have stuck with my frog :hairpull:
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 21, 2006 8:42 am

I'm sorry we had to miss that picnic. I've been so busy I cant even get to know my own grotto.. :oops:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Aug 21, 2006 8:53 am

This Gross Skeleton Cave sounds really cool. Some body take me sometime.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby JoeyS » Aug 21, 2006 8:57 am

mgmills wrote:
JoeyS wrote:

Bummer - I've seen several falls in TAG area streambeds. Those rocks sometimes look dry but they have that "slime" layer on them. Also remember to watch for snakes in those dry streambeds. :-)

Gross Skeleton is one of my favorite caves. This time of the year the water does sometimes get a little stagnent in places. Did you guys climb up the breakdown to the big room (between the two swim sections)?

I didn't go caving but did get on rope with some other cavers at DeSoto Falls near Mentone, Alabama at the Dogwood City Grotto picnic.

I learned that if you haven't used your ropewalker in 3 years the best place to ressurect it is not in water over your head under a small waterfall. :laughing: Rigging onto a rope while floating in the water is not as easy as it sound. Took me forever to get on rope correctly every thing kept getting tangled. I should have stuck with my frog :hairpull:

No we didn't go up the the breakdown to the big room. We got a really late start because we had some trouble finding the cave and didn't get in until 3 PM. Did I miss some good stuff?
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719

Postby Hatch » Aug 21, 2006 10:38 am

mgmills wrote:Gross Skeleton is one of my favorite caves. This time of the year the water does sometimes get a little stagnent in places. Did you guys climb up the breakdown to the big room (between the two swim sections)?

By the time we got to the breakdown that led up to the big room, we had been hiking around the valley and streambed and the cave for about 5 hours. We took a vote and skipped the big room this time since our guide said it would take an hour or two to fully explore the passage up that way.

We'll be going back later this year or next year, so we'll check that out then. It's probably a good thing, since by the time I got back to the house at 10pm my legs were cramping badly and my right hamstring was locked up so bad I had to hobble into the house. Doing all that rock-hopping in the streambed really worked the entire set of leg muscles. Even my adductor muscles are worn out.
Hatch
NSS# 56765

http://hatch.blogspot.com
Hatch
Prolific Poster

Name: J. Alan Hatcher
NSS #: 56765

Postby Grandpa Caver » Aug 21, 2006 7:24 pm

Hatch wrote:
mgmills wrote: It's probably a good thing, since by the time I got back to the house at 10pm my legs were cramping badly and my right hamstring was locked up so bad I had to hobble into the house. Doing all that rock-hopping in the streambed really worked the entire set of leg muscles. Even my adductor muscles are worn out.

There's a cure for that...MORE CAVING!

BL
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum