Caves in Western North Carolina

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves in Western North Carolina

Postby Josh Daniel » Jul 19, 2022 11:24 am

Hi, I normally do most of my caving in Vermont since I'm currently attending college there, but I have a week long vacation coming up in Marion NC. I tried contacting the local grotto, but they have no planned trips for the dates I'm in town. Im still hoping to get underground at some point and I do do know of a few caves in the area: Limekiln, Flute, Pseudosaltpetre, Staircase, and Wind caves. I understand its frowned upon to post locations publicly, but I would be greatly appreciative of any private messages with coordinates, directions, etc.
Josh Daniel
Infrequent Poster

Re: Caves in Western North Carolina

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 19, 2022 12:21 pm

Welcome to CaveChat, Josh. Sorry you didn't have much luck with the local cavers. Yeah, secrecy is definitely part of caving. Now I'm doing amateur archaeology and I bring my caving secrecy philosophy to that. Personally, I wouldn't even name things, but for now, as an admin, I'll leave that for someone to complain about. Have you contacted the Triangle Trogs? They're in the more central part of the state. A bazillion years ago, I was a founding mother of that grotto.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Caves in Western North Carolina

Postby Josh Daniel » Jul 19, 2022 1:31 pm

Ooh I haven't but I'll look them up and shoot them a message. Thanks!
Josh Daniel
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum